Narrowband

HEQ5 Mains Power

bendiddley

I want to power my HEQ5 from the mains. I'm currently thinking of connecting it using this...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/worldwide-60w-acdc-multi-voltage-power-supply-l11bq

Which will be stored inside one of these connected to a mains extension lead...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006IRGC0Q/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d2_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-2&pf_rd_r=1BXQMVP1EK6RXN67ZV62&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=577049067&pf_rd_i=desktop

The extension lead will be plugged into an RCD indoors.

What do people think? Will this be OK?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Linear power supplies are smoother and have very little noise there mainly use in Amatuer Radiio hence the 13.8v this also allow for any voltage drop when the mount slews should the PSU only be rated close to whats needed by the mount. SW Mounts have a Voltage band normally 11 -15v its better to be nearer the 15v

Something like this....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nevada-PS-08-6-8-amp-linear-PSU-supplied-by-Nevada-co-uk-/381377713390?hash=item58cbe214ee:g:n1IAAMXQ9otTjxJW

34 minutes ago, Tinker1947 said:

Linear power supplies are smoother and have very little noise there mainly use in Amatuer Radiio hence the 13.8v this also allow for any voltage drop when the mount slews should the PSU only be rated close to whats needed by the mount. SW Mounts have a Voltage band normally 11 -15v its better to be nearer the 15v

Something like this....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nevada-PS-08-6-8-amp-linear-PSU-supplied-by-Nevada-co-uk-/381377713390?hash=item58cbe214ee:g:n1IAAMXQ9otTjxJW

Couldn't I just set my multi voltage adapter to 15v, to compensate for any voltage drops?

1 hour ago, Tinker1947 said:

Something like this....

So how do I link my HEQ5 to this PSU?

Looking at the picture, either banana plugs to push in to the terminals or if the terminals unscrew some ring connectors, on the other end a 2.1mm plug with the center positive...

Since this photo was taken the plug and lead have had some shrink wrap added.......

DSC_1397.jpg

This connector are a bit bigger than you would need but your get the idea...

20150912_132001.jpg

If you go the best way, i.e. the Linear Power supply it will not fit into the dry box and would be unsafe anyway to try that sort of thing. The power supply will need air cooling, i.e. not available in a small enclosed space. So you will have to run a supply cable  to the drybox from the supply indoors. Use 4mm cable if at all possible.

Derek

36 minutes ago, Physopto said:

If you go the best way, i.e. the Linear Power supply it will not fit into the dry box and would be unsafe anyway to try that sort of thing. The power supply will need air cooling, i.e. not available in a small enclosed space. So you will have to run a supply cable  to the drybox from the supply indoors. Use 4mm cable if at all possible.

Derek

Thanks for that advise good job it was mentioned!! I don't actually want the absolute best anyway, all I'm using is my camera on the scope, no CCDs or laptops.

So with this regulated PSU, could I have this indoors and then run the cable from it to the mount outside? The mount is only about 2 metres away on the other side of the wall and I could run the cable through a window.

Yes easily. I run 8 metres of 4mm cable to my mount. That is then junctioned to the individual items of equipment. Each is fused at the correct rating.  You must use fuses for the safe operation of your equipment. 12 volts is safe for you but if unfused can blow equipment if something goes wrong.

Also each bit of equipment may need slightly different voltages to work at its optimal capacity. An EQ6 mount will work from about 11 - 15 volts but at the lower voltage will require a higher current than at the higher voltage. Some cameras stated as 12 volt actually require not 12 volts but higher, but may fail if above 14 volts. It is up to you to set the correct voltages for the individual equipment requirements. Astro is not a cheap hobby if you start blowing up your equipment. It will not be covered under the manufacturers guarantees if you do not adhere to the stated requirements.

Best of luck.

Derek

4 hours ago, Physopto said:

Yes easily. I run 8 metres of 4mm cable to my mount. That is then junctioned to the individual items of equipment. Each is fused at the correct rating.  You must use fuses for the safe operation of your equipment. 12 volts is safe for you but if unfused can blow equipment if something goes wrong.

Also each bit of equipment may need slightly different voltages to work at its optimal capacity. An EQ6 mount will work from about 11 - 15 volts but at the lower voltage will require a higher current than at the higher voltage. Some cameras stated as 12 volt actually require not 12 volts but higher, but may fail if above 14 volts. It is up to you to set the correct voltages for the individual equipment requirements. Astro is not a cheap hobby if you start blowing up your equipment. It will not be covered under the manufacturers guarantees if you do not adhere to the stated requirements.

Best of luck.

Derek

So how can I ensure it will be correctly fused?

Each of your equipment instructions should say what the fuse rating is. If not check on the manufacturers web site. If that fails ask the dealer who sold the gear. Finally if that fails ask for help here on SGL, someone is bound to have the same gear as you have.

If the equipment has a cigarette type plug with a fuse in the end check it out and WRITE it DOWN somewhere safe, with a description of the equipment.

A common failing is for someone to put in a higher rated  fuse than it was delivered with. This can easily cause either premature failure of the instrument, or immediate destruction depending if there is a fault.

In other words use common sense, read the instructions before use. If it says use a 2 amp fuse then do not put in  a  fuse of greater capacity. If the fuse blows then there is a reason!!! Find out what that reason is.

Derek

Yes the cigar type plug end is OK. It states it has a 3Amp fuse. SkyTron Power Cable - Skywatcher EQ3-2/EQ5/HEQ5/EQ6. The fuse rating looks fine, but ask if it is the correct fuse for your mount. The reason I say this is that some Skywatcher mounts may take a larger current. I believe it depends upon the software that is used. The software can alter the current consumption as it runs the mount. The EQ8 had several different iterations of software over the last couple of years. I am not sure about other mounts.

Just ask FLO they will keep you right.

Derek

Just make one. It is only two wires. As long as they are substantial enough will work. Just remember that you will experience a voltage drop in a long wire. The heavier (bigger cross section) it is the less the voltage drops due to resistance. At the very least use 2.5mm CSA if longer than a couple of metres.

Maplins, RS (Radio Spares), etc.,  all sell good quality wire and plug ends. Just be sure to meter out the cable to ensure the correct polarity.

Derek

19 hours ago, Physopto said:

Just make one. It is only two wires. As long as they are substantial enough will work. Just remember that you will experience a voltage drop in a long wire. The heavier (bigger cross section) it is the less the voltage drops due to resistance. At the very least use 2.5mm CSA if longer than a couple of metres.

Maplins, RS (Radio Spares), etc.,  all sell good quality wire and plug ends. Just be sure to meter out the cable to ensure the correct polarity.

Derek

If you use a ring tongue cable what do you do about fusing it? Also what do you mean about metering out the cable?

If you use a power supply you can make a short lead to a cigar socket. The centre is Positive and the outer connector is Negative. This lead can be left connected all the time. You simply plug in a cigar male plug into the socket. The cigar plug contains the fuse on the centre pin.

All I mean by metering out the cable is to use a multimeter to check if the continuity is correct. By that I mean that the centre pin is positive at the other end of the wire. That means you get the correct positive voltage to your mount on the centre pin of the connector at the mount.

If you do not follow this please get knowledgeable person to do it for you or buy one ready made. The last thing you want to do is make a mistake and blow your mount. From what you have said I believe that this may be the safest method. Have a talk to FLO and they will sell you what you need I am sure.

Derek

18 minutes ago, bendiddley said:

If you use a ring tongue cable what do you do about fusing it? Also what do you mean about metering out the cable?

The cable should be colour coded so you know which is positive and negative. maybe black and red, but always check with a multimeter before you use it to be sure.

You can get an inline blade fuse holder if your'e not using a fused cig' plug. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/black-splashproof-blade-fuse-holder-kk80b

Dave

Here is another power supply that i could recommend i have used one fr nearly 5 years with no problems,  http://www.rapidonline.com/electrical-power/rapid-smps-25a-40a-65063  i use the 40 amp version and there is plenty of space inside to put in extra sockets of your choice eg. Neutrik,Xlr etc,,,

I run my  whole Observatory from one and even take one when camping etc where you have got mains supply,it is easily put in a waterproof container. and it is very well built.

Mike

Hi Guys, back again. So I'm wondering about the option of putting the regulated PSU in my shed and running the cable from it to my mount, I would keep the extension cable socket that I run from indoors and the PSU's plug into it inside a dribox also in the shed. The PSU's actual home would be indoors, just out it in the shed when I need to use it, would that be OK?

Archived