NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter - Mak 127 first light

JemC

Well I actually got my first light with my Skymax 127 :icon_biggrin: have to say I am pretty impressed for such a small scope, I had it mounted on the recently purchased Eq3-2, with 25mm eyepiece to start with then swapped it for 10mm+2xBarlow, moves pretty quick through the fov though,
Time was 21:30 Target was Jupiter, WOW!

Io was there leading the procession, following on close behind Jupiter were Europa, Ganymede and Callisto, Amazing!

Jupiter itself to my eyes at least was a kind of greyish white with what I would call light rusty brown banding, I actually thought I saw a glimmer of the spot? but can't be sure, that would be a first If I did,

I don't think the seeing was at it's best and it was actually quite cold but I am pretty made up with the Mak and my first light with it,

I think my next step is to get some decent eyepieces instead of the standard ones that come with scopes,

I also quite enjoyed just observing instead of faffing about trying to get images :eek: 

Regards
James

Hi James -

welcome back from 'The Dark Side' - er.....astrophotography. These seemingly diminutive Maks certainly pack a great punch in their small frames! I, too, recently got one of these too. Naturally it's been steady clouds since - with one exception: It was -5°F though. I decided getting pneumonia wasn't worth it.

But these Maks really demand going visual with them most often. They have fantastic resolution! I've pretty well designated mine as a primary scope for use on our solar-system.

Enjoy!

Dave

I want one!

I'm pleased that you like your Mak,James , but as you say,I'd bet that upgrading from the stock E.P.s will enhance your visual pleasure no end!

I went out with the ST80 the other night,and tried out the supplied E.P.s just out of interest,and to be honest,they are pretty much pants,even compared to the cheapo Celestron collection that I have.

15 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Hi James -

welcome back from 'The Dark Side' - er.....astrophotography

Hi Dave

I'm not back yet :icon_biggrin: well not completely anyway,
I am currently waiting delivery of Zwo-Asi120mm, I know I will be sticking it on the Mak for some lunar/planetary imaging :happy11: 

I was surprised though how much I enjoyed just observing as its not something I have really done since I got a telescope, I have always just wanted to image(not very good at it yet) but now I'm not so sure :eek: after last nights experience,

Regards
James

Archived