Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unable to get any details on Jupiter with Celestron 114eq

brsseb

I too am in favor of holding off the upgrading. I used my 114EQ Celestron for several years. You should also try some of the brighter deep sky objects - which you can observe under lower power more effectively . Looking at a variety of objects will help you decide which areas of astronomy interest you more, and then the type of equipment you would like to upgrade to.  Also you will learn more about navigating around the night sky with this manual mount as opposed to GOTO.  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the tips. Interesting how central the observer is to the final effect. I'm learning so much with my 6 inch dob that it feels like there's a long way to go until I will even know which telescope to get next - but I know that time will come!

150x looks good in this scope. 200x it's obvious that there are image flaws.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my Orion AccuFocus electronic focuser. Works like a charm on this telescope. Its amazing to be able to make tiny adjustments to the focus without having to touch the telescope and introducing a few seconds of shaking (which I find is one of the most tiring aspects of observing). Install was pretty easy, even though the mounting brackets didnt align 100% properly with the Celestron. Looks like it will be clear skies over the next couple of days, so I will try to get some views and some simple shots of the moon and of Jupiter. 

I have the very same scope and I used it two days ago to view and image Jupiter/Moon.

Most important thing first - I was able to make out bands despite being somewhat blind (D -8.5). On numerous occasions. Last year it was much easier, as I think Jupiter was closer, I'm getting less detail on by eye or webcam this year. However, I could still make them out two days ago. Some tips:

1. Let both your eye and scope aclimitise. Try to avoid looking at bright light with an eye you are using to observe, it becomes more sensitive. Give it some time - at least an hour. In that time both your pupil will shrink and your scope will cool down. I just couldn't believe how much difference it makes on this scope. 

2. Do not use Barlow or high power eyepieces. 20 mm is enough and 10 mm on the edge is blur, the scope is not powerful enough to bring out enough detail, but two bands - can be done.

so, don't use too powerful an eyepace, give time for organs and tech, look at it for 10 min or so and you'll be able to see them, definitely. And once you make them out, next time is easier. Oh, and focus on stars before going for Jupiter. It helps to get a good idea what focus you need for the planet.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the collimation is really bad, if the instrument is new and no verification was done, it's possible they simply didn't tighten the screws correctly at the factory and the mirrors are really at the wrong position.  I would do a quick check with a basic and inexpensive collimation cap to be sure.

On 31.3.2016 at 04:07, N3ptune said:

Maybe the collimation is really bad, if the instrument is new and no verification was done, it's possible they simply didn't tighten the screws correctly at the factory and the mirrors are really at the wrong position.  I would do a quick check with a basic and inexpensive collimation cap to be sure.

I have checked the collimation with a laser collimator. It seemed about 95% right to me, enough for me not to go ahead with any adjustments yet. Looks like the factory did a good job on this one. And I guess since its so small and  compact, its less likely to have its mirrors moved out of alignment during shipping and transport. 

On 21.3.2016 at 17:33, Erla said:

I have the very same scope and I used it two days ago to view and image Jupiter/Moon.

Most important thing first - I was able to make out bands despite being somewhat blind (D -8.5). On numerous occasions. Last year it was much easier, as I think Jupiter was closer, I'm getting less detail on by eye or webcam this year. However, I could still make them out two days ago. Some tips:

1. Let both your eye and scope aclimitise. Try to avoid looking at bright light with an eye you are using to observe, it becomes more sensitive. Give it some time - at least an hour. In that time both your pupil will shrink and your scope will cool down. I just couldn't believe how much difference it makes on this scope. 

2. Do not use Barlow or high power eyepieces. 20 mm is enough and 10 mm on the edge is blur, the scope is not powerful enough to bring out enough detail, but two bands - can be done.

so, don't use too powerful an eyepace, give time for organs and tech, look at it for 10 min or so and you'll be able to see them, definitely. And once you make them out, next time is easier. Oh, and focus on stars before going for Jupiter. It helps to get a good idea what focus you need for the planet.

Yeah, I have definitely started making sure that both my telescope and my eyes have adapted before using it. Let it cool down, and avoid using bright objects like smart phones when I am out. I got a small red flashlight which helps me in the dark. 

I actually managed to get some glimpses of two of the bands a few weeks ago. The seeing was not the best that night, and I should really find a better dark site than the one I am currently using.  

Short status update.

Thanks everyone for helping me out and giving me lots of usefull tips. I have learned so much with this scope and about astronomy in general for the past few months since I got it. 

The telescope has now been sold to a friend of mine.

Reason is, two weeks ago I stumbled upon a great deal from a swedish astronomy retailer. So right now I have a 8" Newtonian that I cant wait to test out once the weather clears up :icon_biggrin:.  Ill keep you posted on how it goes (in a different thread). 

Clear skies!

IMG_1647.jpg

That 8" Newt looks very capable. The AstroMaster Kit has a 6mm Celestron (GSO) Plossl and a 15mm Kellner. I always found the 6mm hard work but the Kellner has a 2cm eye lens and is very nice to use I think. The Barlow in the kit is pretty good quality as well. I sometimes still use the unthreaded element from mine and I still occasionally use the 15mm Kellner.

Archived