NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tonight's Waxing Gibbous Moon 2-21-2016

Leveye

Finally a clear night thank the stars!

Ok so with a moon this bright it's pretty much a given what one was to image. I tried a different approach this time. I used my AT8IN Newt and stacked 130 CR2 files  at 1/500th converted to Tiff in PIPP and stacked in Registax6. Applied some wavelet action and sweetened to taste in PS.

Let me know what you think of the final outcome.

56cac7d3910ea_FullMoonAT8INFeb212016(1of

I can't wait to image the total solar eclipse in 2017 with this baby. Pretty sharp overall with a coma corrector and a good collimation.

8 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

That's very nice, like the colour.

Is it just my eyes but there seems to be an optical illusion going on here, when I look at the image it seems as though you have frozen a spinning moon?

How long between pictures before the moon shows rotation? Would it at all? I did have de-rotation checked in Registax. These are all an 8 minute session.

Here it is in mono using 100 frames. The rotation is eliminated when I save everything to an AVI coming out of PIPP. Then stacked in AS!2 and onto Registax to use the wavelets. Learned quite a bit here.

Full Moon AT8IN Feb 21 2016 all frames Mono (1 of 1).jpg

Hi Chris, you have some really sharp results here. The exposure is perfect and the subtle colours are well recorded. The second version does away with the odd rotation effect of the first one, and is therefore the better.

Looking forward to your solar eclipse images!

2 hours ago, Ruud said:

Hi Chris, you have some really sharp results here. The exposure is perfect and the subtle colours are well recorded. The second version does away with the odd rotation effect of the first one, and is therefore the better.

Looking forward to your solar eclipse images!

Many thanks! Another lesson learned in this craft. I know the eclipse is a long way off but getting pumped for it already. This Newt should get the entire corona. 800mm looks to be perfect FL.

On 2/23/2016 at 04:19, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

The latter two are a lot better. Field rotation is a big problem at long focal lengths

Many thanks! I agree. I really learned a lot from trying this method. A proper tracking mount is the best always.

Archived