Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atik Infinity camera

Stephen Green

If you head over to the Video Astronomy forum on SGL there is lots of information on the Infinity and other cameras used for near-real time electronic observing (which consists of short subs , taken typically through scopes mounted on alt-az).

I myself develop a program called Starlight Live which performs this type of observing using SX cameras. You can get great results very quickly and easily using very modest equipment which allows you to observe your favourite brighter objects in great detail, or be able to reach the extremely faint stuff that is simply impossible visually (such as galaxy clusters in the distant universe).

• 2 weeks later...

I have Infinity, best use is observing space via laptop, for imaging its ok, not great but a solid ok.   Images not on par with awesome mono cam or high end color cam shots you see on here, but they're not bad.  I use stellarium to control EQ Mount telescope from laptop in observatory (couch), Infinity is great for slewing around space clicking on targets in stellarium while viewing live from your sofa or favorite chair observatory.   Once on DSO just hit stack button and it quickly starts to take shape.  All in one Capture/stacking/replay/broadcast software is user friendly.  Its dumbed down a bit with gigantic buttons / pictures like "RECORD" or "STOP" :confused4:.  Can stack as you observe or while recording frames and observing, save stacked image anytime while stacking or reject last image in stack if poor.  Adjustable stack reject feature to eliminate poor frames.  Can replay session in future, re-stack from any start point, adjust colors, brightness of all frames before or after you stack.  I don't broadcast to Youtube but it can do that as well. Records fits files vs avi.  Hope this helps.

ML

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for the info, I have had my infinity now over a week but due to full cloud cover haven't used it yet,

What set up do you use please for working stellarium alongside infinity on your laptop.

Eric

Archived