NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help finding m31 under polluted light

Adamchiv

Hi guys, I noticed last night that under a polluted sky, if you focus on a star with the 25mm, you can see surrounding stars that arent observable to the naked eye.

So I was wondering if I pointed to Mirach/beta andromadae in the andromeda constellation, then panned across to uAnd then VAnd, could I then stand a chance of seeing m31?

Obviously the sky is vast when slewing through an EP but is this reasonably possible?

Thanks, Adam

p01fttxm.jpg

From mirach, following those three stars upwards lands you straight onto it. I didn't know this when i first found it. I used the method where you go down from Cassiopeia but that one is more trial and error than the method illustrated in the picture.

I had real trouble finding M31. I can see roughly where to look with naked eye but when you put a telescope on the general area it's a different story. And when I eventually find it it's a very faint fuzzy smeer.  To be honest I was disappointed at start but am learning to lower my expectations! I'm now beginning to appreciate just what it is I'm looking at!

Yeah thats what I am expecting, just to see it in this area will be a great result. It fascinates me enough to admire it in any form, for me billions of stars means probable life, and although im looking at it a long time ago im sure I'll still get that feeling of awe! Well hopefully anyway :happy11:

Archived