NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scope for kids

Are you looking for a telescope that will really be his, to use and abuse as he wishes and to abandon if he gets bored? Or, are you looking for a small scope that he will use under your close supervision?

What are your expectations of a four-year-old's interest in astronomy? And, for that matter, what are his?

What sort of money are you looking to spend?

I might go for a refractor on an Alt-Az mount, something like Celestron's astromaster 70AZ or 90AZ. Simple and basic to use. Then again, I might test the waters first with a toy telescope and upgrade if he showed interest.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toyrific-Telescope/dp/B00OE6TQZQ/ref=pd_pgd_B00FNT3W62_B00OE6TQZQ?pf_rd_p=802430787&pf_rd_s=product-alert&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00FNT3W62&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1NRJ4PPX6EC6DMJSQ5GH

Certainly not a telescope I would recommend to anyone starting out with a serious interest in astronomy - but I'm just not sure quite how a four-year-old views the hobby!

Archived