Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

February 11, 2016; 01:00 CET: Brief binocular session

When I cam home late from the farewell pub session of one of our PhD students, I found the skies were beautifully clear, so I grabbed the trusty 15x70 Helios Apollos and stepped into the garden for a quick bash with bins. I first had a look at M65 an M66, which were quite easy. As it was high up, I gave M101 a go, and lo and behold, it stood out nicely in averted vision. M51 followed shortly afterwards, and M81 and M82, right near zenith were just great. I moved back to Leo to pick up NGC 2903, which again showed up quite readily. I ended the session by grabbing M35, M36, M37 and M38, and the Double Cluster in quick succession, followed by a last quick glance at M3. I actually managed a "hole in one" on that: aiming the bins and having the object slap in the centre of the FOV :D.

All old friends, but still a nice haul for a 6 or 7 minute session

Nice quick session. I managed another "hole in one" last Saturday aiming at NGC2451 in Puppis.  Impresive its orange central star. With bins you can manage a lot of targets very quickly, some of them with a "hole in one".

Archived