NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Automation

martin_h

Got to love it!!

I set the obs to do a fully automated run last night, RGB for a 2 panel mosaic no less. Woke this morning and first thing was to check that the obs roof was closed...yep!

So I had a quick look through the log file to see if there were any problems and had to laugh........... with 7 mins to go before the end of the complete sequence it decided that a meridian flip was coming up in 3 mins.....and as my sub length was 3 mins, it waited and then did the flip, re acquired the target, got the guiding going, re- focused for the filter and did the shot - all 2 of them! then parked and shut down for the night..........................................

Now, if I had been sat out there at stupid O'clock and a flip was coming up with 2 x 3 mins subs to do I would have called it a night. It actually took longer to do the flip and get going again than it did to do the shots!!

Hi Martin,

Great to see your automation is working well after the trial and tribulations of setting it all up. :headbang::headbang:

I've often wondered about the "east heavy" syndrome on an automated set-up especially after a meridian flip and in particular the EQ6 mount.

Steve

That's great, Martin - automation does pull up some funnies! Mine was the opposite of yours - I set a 3 hour session going but didn't check the position of the the Horsehead Nebula with regard to the meridian (because I don't have to!). It captured one image and did a flip so all the plate solving and focusing had to be done again after just a single shot!

45 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

Hi Martin,

Great to see your automation is working well after the trial and tribulations of setting it all up. :headbang::headbang:

I've often wondered about the "east heavy" syndrome on an automated set-up especially after a meridian flip and in particular the EQ6 mount.

Steve

My mount (NEQ6) is quite stiff in RA and I can move a weight about 2 inches up and down the bar with no effect, so I just leave it and dont bother any more

hi Martin,

I was to embark on my Oby build, and to automate, starting this spring, as I was going to take early retirement. But events take their infinite path which now means the date has moved to mid summer or possibly later. :sad2:

The build is still on - but late... I'll be picking your brains on the automated side of things when I have the Obsy built and running :help2:

Steve

Archived