Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dust inside 24 ~ 8 Celestron zoom

N3ptune

Hello,

I have this situation (which is resolved right now) some dust got inside my Celestron zoom, between the multiple lenses. The result of that, I have some black spots in focus when the piece is pivoted at 18mm.  I wrote to Amazon and the seller agreed to give me a refund for that zoom.

I want to know if anyone else heard about  a similar situation, zoom or sealed eyepiece with dust getting inside..  

--> I now wish to have a 18mm Xcel LX eyepiece with the refund money but, can I be confident that this piece will be sealed, preventing any particles from getting inside?

Thanks.

Dust can get just about anywhere, some of my older eyepieces have a few specks and they are all TeleVue. It does not affect the performance of any of mine so I leave well alone. You have been unlucky to get a new eyepiece with a problem that will have probably come from manufacture, it is good that they are refunding you. I will keep my fingers crossed for your next eyepiece.

I just found somebody's hair tangled-up in a new 2" 32mm 70° eyepiece. It looked like it was inside the glass. But I took a strong light and went hunting. Turned out it was actually wedged under the field-stop. I managed to remove most of it with some fine forceps. Then I pulled what was left taut and snipped it off flush with the field-stop. Now it can't be seen whatsoever.

It was the first time I ever gave an eyepiece a haircut.

Dave

Dave

heheheh at least the the story ended well, probably a technician hair that has fallen while building the eyepiece? Do you think the lenses usually sit on sticky gaskets or these gaskets are more like a piece of fabric so it's possible for a technician to remove the stacked lens and put them back together after?

Has for my zoom i don't think the dust came from the factory, it used to be dust free. There was a clear random build-up in there, on the side of the piece there is 2 joints plus the moving lenses assembly at the bottom with a large joint again, it's moving like a piston.

--> I am starting to think I was the problem... (a Code 18) always using my air duster on the piece has the picture bellow. I think an air jet could have induced dust by force inside the piece, by the various joints cracks.

Is it possible? Do you astronomers use an air device like that?

91eDLQ9.jpg?1

Archived