Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Measure linearity of sensor

freiform

Hi, 

due to lousy weather I thought about 'profiling' my cameras (Nikon and Canon DSLR, ASI120MM), i.e. in terms of noise as function of exposure time and ISO. This seems rather straight forward, but I also wanted to find the linear range of the sensors, i.e. ADU as function of exposure time. Maybe with ISO as parameter, although I do not know if this makes sense. 

How would I go about doing that? I thought of placing a small light source in a (relatively) dark room and increase exposure time, maybe defocus slightly to get a bigger area. The question is, how to measure the pixels values and over what area? Do I define a fixed size area around the defocused source? 

Is there free software to to that? Can PixInsight do it?

Any hints would be appreciated!

Sven

• 2 months later...

Hi Sven,

This was interesting, I also thinking about how to measure the sensors linearity in my Canon 6D. But how to get high quality data?

The cameras shutter doesn't have that precission I belive. Maybe have a LED and some strobe funktion to it, i.e. send one pulse, then 2 pulses, then 4 pulses and so on. That maybe will give higher precission than to use the cameras built in shutter.

I have recently installed the program AstroImageJ: http://www.astro.louisville.edu/software/astroimagej/, it has a function to linearize sensordata.

BR

/Lars

Archived