NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Berlebach Castor Altaz mount - any views?

RobertI

I have been looking at a simple altaz mount to fit to my photo tripod for grab and go observing with my 72mm frac.

The Berlebach Castor  looks like an interesting alternative to the Giro GR2 mini but I cannot find any reviews from owners. 

It's about 20 Euros more than the Giro GR2 (after adding the cost of a dovetail clamp to the Giro) but appears to have a longer arm which could be useful to prevent clashing with the tripod legs, has nice large adjustment knobs (the giros are sometimes criticised for being too small) and also appears to have a higher load capacity, although I take this with a pinch of salt. 

Does anyone have any views or experience?

Thanks

Rob

I own a Berlebach Planet, totally different of course, bit I can say the Berlebach quality is impeccable. The demping is sublime and the weight capacity is not exaggerated.

Most products  from Germany are really good and the service is top. (I am Dutch, b.t.w. :-))

Waldemar

It does look a nice little mount. I've not seen one, but do have a Giro-WR which is a similar concept. I think the advantages of the Berelebach are, as you say, the longer arms and perhaps the fact that it has a little more height which also makes it more convenient to use.

Just now, RobertI said:

Thanks for the replies guys, well in the absence of any negative reviews I am tempted to take the plunge, someone has to!

Do it for the team Robert ?

Seriously, I don't think you would be disappointed. Have you looked at the mini-Ercole? A slightly bigger mount but seems good too

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Do it for the team Robert ?

Seriously, I don't think you would be disappointed. Have you looked at the mini-Ercole? A slightly bigger mount but seems good too

Oh now you've done it, I'll never decide now! :D The mini ercole does look very nice and better for heavier loads, thing is I have a Skytee 2 for heavy scopes and I wanted a very light and compact solution for small scopes; the mini ercole seems a bit larger and heavier all round.  Also the price is creeping towards 300 Euro once a dovetail clamp is added. There you go, I have just talked myself into the Berlebach! :) 

1 hour ago, RobertI said:

Oh now you've done it, I'll never decide now! :D The mini ercole does look very nice and better for heavier loads, thing is I have a Skytee 2 for heavy scopes and I wanted a very light and compact solution for small scopes; the mini ercole seems a bit larger and heavier all round.  Also the price is creeping towards 300 Euro once a dovetail clamp is added. There you go, I have just talked myself into the Berlebach! :) 

Sorry about that :)

I think you are right though, the Berlebach should be ideal for grab and go, it seems similar to my Giro-WR and that takes amazing loads for something so small! I take it all over the place, sometimes using it on a photo tripod for light loads, but put it on an EQ6 tripod and is incredibly stable.

image.jpeg

That’s a very elegant looking setup – I love the simplicity. I zoomed in on your picture and it seems that your Giro is made by Berlebach, which confuses me as I assumed that Tele-Optic were the manufacturer of the Giro’s and therefore assumed the Berlebach Castor was also made by Tele-Optic (but rebranded Berlebach). Do you know the story as to who makes what?

Archived