Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion From Tonight

Hi drb, good start with nice star colours. Is this a single image?

I tried enhancing your image but there's not a lot to work with.

As Pete mentioned, bump up the ISO a bit and drop the exposure time slightly to avoid star trails, say 20 seconds max.

15 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

You have captured some nice detail there. I think i might be tempted to shorten the exposure time and up the ISO setting. What set up were you using?

canons eos 20d, 18mm kit lens and static tripod

12 hours ago, Aussie Dave said:

Hi drb, good start with nice star colours. Is this a single image?

I tried enhancing your image but there's not a lot to work with.

As Pete mentioned, bump up the ISO a bit and drop the exposure time slightly to avoid star trails, say 20 seconds max.

it's a stack of 26 images. I was going to use a much higher iso setting, but on the lcd screen of camera there was so much light pollution couldnt see the stars. Then when i loaded the images they were alot darker so i guess i could have gotten away with higher iso setting

15 hours ago, drb1976 said:

it's a stack of 26 images. I was going to use a much higher iso setting, but on the lcd screen of camera there was so much light pollution couldnt see the stars. Then when i loaded the images they were alot darker so i guess i could have gotten away with higher iso setting

DRB i assume your shooting in raw?  the lcd doesnt give you a true read. always go of the histogram it will give a much better indication of how far you can push your images. 

as buuny said i would go down to 20 secs and iso 800. take as many as you can. there are lots of ways to get rid of glow if your using PS then download a program called gradient extermenator works wonders 

56b83193da6ef_bigorion.thumb.jpg.f91b52993c1221f1af825778bd0a1b00.jpg

19 hours ago, drb1976 said:

Yep got light pollution here too. Orion is just above me just as it gets dark, by the time it gets nice and dark Orion's getting near the start of the light pollution. A couple of months ago it was in a better position for imaging in a darker sky.

Keep at it drb.

On 2/9/2016 at 12:04, Aussie Dave said:

Yep got light pollution here too. Orion is just above me just as it gets dark, by the time it gets nice and dark Orion's getting near the start of the light pollution. A couple of months ago it was in a better position for imaging in a darker sky.

Keep at it drb.

i watched a great video talking about light pollution and setting a custom white balance to deal with it, works great! I re-shot orion with custom white balance, it's in a new thread in widefield imaging section of forum. Check it out if you get a chance

Archived