NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synscan Firmware Update

Hi all.

How do I go about updating the firmware on my Synscan V4?

Do I connect the handset direct to my PC (if so how) or do I connect to the stand as if I was going to use Stellarium and update that way?

Hello

I've updated mine a couple of times. There are full instructions on the Skywatcher website and it's best to follow those rather than get them  from me. You need the correct cable to connect to a PC (it doesn't work with Macs) and the downloaded upgrade program. You  also need 12v to the handset.

best of luck 

Kerry 

Updating the firmware on a v4 handset is slightly different to the older v3 handsets.  Connect the handset to  the pc using the serial data cable (you might also need a good quality usb-serial adapter for this). The handset is also connected to the mount using the normal handset/mount cable, this is required to power the handset.  I will assume that you have already downloaded and extracted the firmware loader programme and the correct firmware on to your computer. http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/downloads.php?cat=4
Holding the buttons 0 and 8 down on the handset power the mount up, this will set the handset in firmware update mode. Run the firmware updater programme and direct the programme to the new firmware. Click on the update button to start the firmware update.

pgs 32-33 in the manual http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/downloads/Synscan%20V4%20Hand%20Control%20Manual_v4_36_01.pdf

Forgive me for asking but i got the V4 with my new 150p Star discovery a month ago, as the handsets are relatively new whats the benefit for the upgrade in firmware ?

Mine works fine out the box and there is an old saying "if it aint broke dont fix it" so what am i missing ?

Cheers.

8 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

It will depend on the firmware version on the handset.The latest release v4.37.03 fixes some bugs and has some improvements. To check the  firmware version on your handset power the mount up and read the firmware version displayed on the handset.

Thanks Peter, i will take a look but as i haven't encountered any bugs as of yet i am inclined to leave mine alone until someone tells me i am missing out on extra functions or something etc ;) cheers.

28 minutes ago, LeeRich said:

Forgive me for asking but i got the V4 with my new 150p Star discovery a month ago, as the handsets are relatively new whats the benefit for the upgrade in firmware ?

Mine works fine out the box and there is an old saying "if it aint broke dont fix it" so what am i missing ?

Cheers.

Hi,

Mine was new out the box last week but only has Firmware 4.05.17 installed, it all comes down to date of manufacture.

The latest firmware (from last February) apparently has fixes for failure from park and updated PC commands.... I am a bit of a techno geek and must have the most up to date of everything otherwise I get a nervous twitch! 

I'll be updating as soon as my serial to USB lead arrives from RS components tomorrow :)  I'll let you know if it blows up my scope ;)

Latest Firmware notes:

Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 19.45.58.png

2 hours ago, kerrylewis said:

Hello

I've updated mine a couple of times. There are full instructions on the Skywatcher website and it's best to follow those rather than get them  from me. You need the correct cable to connect to a PC (it doesn't work with Macs) and the downloaded upgrade program. You  also need 12v to the handset.

best of luck 

Kerry 

Thanks.

I have fast realised that my mac book is not going to be helping me with this hobby, nearly all software I have looked at for imaging etc. is all windows.

So I treated myself to a new windows laptop as well :D

Thanks for the info though.

1 minute ago, markthg said:

Hi,

Mine was new out the box last week but only has Firmware 4.05.17 installed, it all comes down to date of manufacture.

The latest firmware (from last February) apparently has fixes for failure from park and updated PC commands.... I am a bit of a techno geek and must have the most up to date of everything otherwise I get a nervous twitch! 

I'll be updating as soon as my serial to USB lead arrives from RS components tomorrow :)

Latest Firmware notes:

Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 19.45.58.png

Cool....might look at that after i have finished flocking and wrapping my tube as well as fitting my new GSO focuser :p

I got this one off ebay...works a treat for Stellarium !? so i guess ok for the firmware.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111306525639?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Updating the firmware on a v4 handset is slightly different to the older v3 handsets.  Connect the handset to  the pc using the serial data cable (you might also need a good quality usb-serial adapter for this). The handset is also connected to the mount using the normal handset/mount cable, this is required to power the handset.  I will assume that you have already downloaded and extracted the firmware loader programme and the correct firmware on to your computer. http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/downloads.php?cat=4
Holding the buttons 0 and 8 down on the handset power the mount up, this will set the handset in firmware update mode. Run the firmware updater programme and direct the programme to the new firmware. Click on the update button to start the firmware update.

pgs 32-33 in the manual http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/downloads/Synscan%20V4%20Hand%20Control%20Manual_v4_36_01.pdf

What is this manual thing you speak of?  :D

2 minutes ago, LeeRich said:

Cool....might look at that after i have finished flocking and wrapping my tube as well as fitting my new GSO focuser :p

I got this one off ebay...works a treat for Stellarium !? so i guess ok for the firmware.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111306525639?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You were lucky with that off of flea bay!

I spoke to FLO and Astronomiser and they both pointed me to the RS lead as it was a known worker.

Luckily I have an account with them for work...so the lead is now for communicating with smart electric meters according to my accounts :)

1 minute ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The one that should be read, cover to cover, front to back, back to front and inside and out until it is ingrained on your soul. :grin: And then and only then should you look through the eyepiece.

I read the part about how to align and that was that :)

Archived