Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSO Imaging

Herzy

So with my camera in the eyepeice I the Orion Nebula takes up around 60% of the picture. So there is the scale of what I can see. 

I can currently take only 30s exposures, but I have a shutter release cable on the way. In the meantime what should I image that would look decent and that I would be able to see? Andromeda in my eyepeice is a faint grey smudge, and in a 30s exposure picture it looks like a multicolored smudged... Nothing interesting there. 

Once I do have my shutter release what should I image then? I've tried a lot of random DSO's with 30s exposure only and I literally can't see anything there but stars, is this just not a high enough exposure to collect the light needed to see the objects?

Thanks!

-Herzy

Edit: I'm using a NexStar 90slt computerized. 1200mm focal length. Camera is a Nikon D3200 ISO 800-3200.You don't have to comment about the tripod/mount, I know it's not recommended for astrophotography, but that's what I have and it will have to do.

Sorry, I can't post the picture it won't let me for some reason!

It would help to know what scope (objective size, focal length) and what ISO you are using.

An 8" reflector with a camera at ISO 12800 will almost burn out some DSOs, albeit with quite a lot of noise, but with a 4" and camera ISO 200 you will need to stack several frames to get detail.   

I think this topic will help you.

A quick look through the first page and I think your exposure is too long for your set up. Try 8 seconds. Your first post makes me think the image is blown out and the detail smudged from rotation. Try some more :-)

Read here

Also at least use your delay shutter release option while waiting for a cable.

Archived