NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Collimation

Bino Pete

Hi again,

I've just been looking into collimators. On some of the YouTube videos it states that some of the laser ones might infact need callimating themselves. Is this true of the cheshire ones as well? Sorry for my ignorance!

Hi Pete -

First-time collimation is almost universally scary to people. But once you've done it, it's like riding the proverbial bicycle!

To your question: I've never heard of a Cheshire needing collimation. They are utterly different from a laser-collimator. But for your first-time out, I'd avoid using a laser altogether until you understand fully what you're doing, and why. To this end, may I suggest you read what is perhaps the most lucid and clear and easy-to-understand guide to collimation out there? Written by a member here, this is free - of course:

http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

Have fun & Don't worry!

Dave

Some laser collimation tools can themselves be out of alignment. I think most people prefer the Cheshire collimator tool. Its not something i generally worry about because my scopes dont get moved around much (or even used much of late). If i do want to check collimation i use a coli cap........made from a 35mm camera film canister. It can be a daunting process the first time, but in reality is nothing to worry about. All you are doing is simply checking if both the primary and secondary mirrors are in alignment. For observing purposes it doesnt have to 100% accurate(90%+ will be fine), but for imaging, it really should be 100% spot on perfect.

See what I said in reply to your other post:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/262247-collimator/

Would be a good idea to merge them.

Yes, laser collimators can be inaccurate. A Cheshire is the simplest and best tool. Once you know how to use it you'll be able to get any Newt adequately collimated in two minutes. Or else, if you're a masochist-perfectionist and enjoy tinkering, the quest for perfect collimation is a fine way to waste many a cloudy hour. A laser will make the fun last even longer.

Archived