Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Iridescent clouds,Sun Dogs and a Halo

LukeSkywatcher

This morning as i left the house at about 9am, i noticed something strange in the sky. There was a few high thin patches of cloud away to the right hand side of the Sun. These clouds were glowing vividly with all the colours of the rainbow, but it looked more like tie-dye or an oil spill on water. It wasnt just the leading edge of the clouds that were glowing...it was the whole of the clouds. I then noticed a couple of Sun Dogs at various other positions around the Sun and to top it all off all of these iridescent clouds and sun dogs were linked by a very faint halo. Apart from what i have mentioned, the sky was perfectly clear and blue. If you hold your fist out at arms length horizontally, all of the above were that far from the sun (i think thats about 10 degrees?).

Unfortunately like every other Kodak moment in my life...i didnt have any kind of camera with me. I reckon if i lived another hundred yrs that i would never see such a sight again. Maybe one part of it or the other, but not all 3 at the same time.

It was a spectacular sight to behold.

Paul

Just now, Charic said:

I have been observing nacreous clouds since Friday, early mornings, looks just like mother-of-pearl. 

I just saw the reports and images on the weather thread. Yes Mother Of Pearl is a very apt name. The sun dogs and halo i saw were the icing on the cake. I'll be up again tomorrow to have a look to see if they are visible again. I'll have a camera with me this time.

Archived