Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy Texts on Gutenberg

Mak the Night

Full agree with Man or Astroman, I tried Flammarion thirty years ago and couldn't get on with his style. Perhaps it's time to give him another go? All said, however, from a historical point of view, his influence as a populariser of science in the 19th century is undoubted. He was also the founder of the French astronomical society and publisher of an astronomy magazine (the later merged with the society's journal).

George Forbes was quite a heavy weight scientist/engineer working on electricity. He was consultant for a number of big hydroelectric dams around the world (including Niagara Falls), and an influential supporter of electric transport (he advised London Underground). He also wrote a short book on basic astronomy for Boy Scouts which by all accounts is still a sound text.

Thanks, Mak the Night, for the links!

1 hour ago, MAN or ASTROMAN said:

Read a book by Camille Flammarion,when I was in my early teens.

A very 'poetic' writer- 'flowery prose' even.

Just depends if you like that 19th c/early 20th century style of writing.

Nice bedtime reading.

I know he was a big influence on early sci fi, particularly Olaf Stapledon and William Hope Hodgson.  Astronomy for Amateurs is more of an oddity than anything else now I suppose. It is probably great bedtime reading if you need to sleep lol.

35 minutes ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

Full agree with Man or Astroman, I tried Flammarion thirty years ago and couldn't get on with his style. Perhaps it's time to give him another go? All said, however, from a historical point of view, his influence as a populariser of science in the 19th century is undoubted. He was also the founder of the French astronomical society and publisher of an astronomy magazine (the later merged with the society's journal).

George Forbes was quite a heavy weight scientist/engineer working on electricity. He was consultant for a number of big hydroelectric dams around the world (including Niagara Falls), and an influential supporter of electric transport (he advised London Underground). He also wrote a short book on basic astronomy for Boy Scouts which by all accounts is still a sound text.

Thanks, Mak the Night, for the links!

You're welcome. :icon_biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

I've never actually downloaded Kindle files, I just stick with ePub. As long as it works, right? lol

I downloaded an ePub book from Gutenberg recently onto my Nexus 7 and it stated that the pictures probably wouldn't format on phones or tablets:

format1.thumb.jpg.456c3ccf3d3484847e224c

Yet the pictures all render perfectly well on a 7" tablet!

Archived