NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Guide scopes and astrophotography

loakessg

Hello.  Im getting into astro photography and have been doing multiple short exposures and stacking with varying results. I'm doing 3sec exposures assuming this is the longest I can do without star trails? I do have ra and Dec motors but obviously if not 100%  polar aligned I won't get long exposures.  Well I'm looking into autoguiding with a guide scope. Question is, is there any advantage in buying a proper guide scope over buying a second hand reasonable cheap refractor and using that?

Any thoughts/advice

Thanks 

Sean

A lot of folk use the SW ST80 £50.00/£70.00ish SH , the original guide scopes were just half a pair of old binoculars so pretty much anything will do, no need to spend hundreds on a "guide " scope.
Mechanical limitations of the mount will be your next problem :) has it got a guide port ?

Dave

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

A lot of folk use the SW ST80 £50.00/£70.00ish SH , the original guide scopes were just half a pair of old binoculars so pretty much anything will do, no need to spend hundreds on a "guide " scope.
Mechanical limitations of the mount will be your next problem :) has it got a guide port ?

Dave

Hi thanks for the info. I have the skywatcher dual axis motordrives which has st-4 interface if that's what you mean by guide port

Archived