NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Motor Drive. (again)

Further to my post from yesterday(24th Jan. 2016) The Skywatcher motor drive runs on 4 'D' cell batteries(6 volts) and has a rating of  400mA DC power(at least). Rather than keep buying batteries I need an alternative. I have made enquiries and it appears that the Skywatcher/Celestron power tanks only supply 12 volts. Must  the rating of 400mA  be strictly adhered to? 

The 400mA requirement is the minimum. If you have a psu that can give you a regulated output of 6v and at least 400mA this will be adequate. The mount motors will only draw what they require so it won't matter if the psu can supply more amps. The problems start to occur if the psu is rated below the minimum requirements. The motors will try to draw more than the psu can supply which might cause the psu to overheat or shut down.

Archived