Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone controlling DS2408 1-wire device from Arduino?

Gina

I've been straining my brain trying to work out how to control the DS2408 1-wire device.  There is an Arduino library but I can't get it to work.  So I've been trying to use the OneWire library alone to directly communicate with this device but without much luck so far.  I've scoured the web for info and there seems to be very little out there - even the Arduino forum hasn't solved the issue.  I've also posted in a weather forum where 1-wire is pretty popular but no joy.  The makers of these chips, Maxim, have discontinued several almost essential 1-wire devices and have provided no alternative.  The DS2408 is an 8 bit programmable input/output device with strobe which could take over in conjunction with standard CMOS logic or even microprocessor.

My question is - does anyone here have any knowledge of controlling the DS2408 or indeed more knowledge than me about the Maxim 1-wire device control in general?

I'd be most grateful for any help - I'm on the point of giving up and that's not like me.

Edited by Gina

• 3 weeks later...

I've been studying writing libraries in Arduino and how libraries are constructed and then examined the DS2408 library.  I've found why the test sketch didn't compile - it used #include <WProgram.h> rather than #include <Arduino.h>.  The former only works with IDE versions >100.  When Arduino IDE v100 came out they changed from WProgram.h to <Arduino.h and older versions of sketches and libraries using #include <WProgram.h> no longer compiled.

The test sketch now compiles and uploads fine and displays the data in the Serial Monitor.  Next step is to alter the sketch to work with the DS2408 pins I'm using for my test rig.  I'll get the DS2408 to do what I want yet :D

Edited by Gina
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...

I was planning to use onewire with a ESP8266 -12. Because this board has only 12 I/O's, I will connect it with a onewire bus.

For the moment I have a test sketch working with a few DS18b20 sensors. Now I want to expand it with DS2408 to read push buttons.

As Gina already mentioned, there is no much information on the internet about using the DS2408 and specially not about multiple DS2408 devices and DS18B20 and DS2408 devices on one bus.

Gina, is it possible to publish you test sketch and your first impressions ?

• 3 years later...

Hi Gina,

I am trying to implement the DS2408 into a project I am working on. I was hoping you might be willing to share your sketch to help me along the way with integration to my project.

I am trying to build a home automation system with relays controlling all the circuits in my house so as you could imagine the DS2408 would be very helpful

Thanks