NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with telescope

Hi I own a 70/900 refractor and a 200p dob want to try astrophotograohy had a go with the refractor but come to the conclusion the f/ratio is to large so not sure which other scope to buy any help will be great could stretch to about £200 at a push not looking for amazing images to start with just ok ones thanks

I was told to get a decent image with my refractor of dso I would need at least a 30 min exposure and to go for a smaller f/ratio to reduce the the exposure time is this true I understand I will need a better mount but I have seen some images that are ok with eq1 mounts with tracking if balanced right and weighted at the bottom of the eyepiece tray to start with before splashing thousands on it

I suggest reading this link and reading in general a lot more before spending any money.

http://www.nightofmanywords.com/articles/kit-lens-astrophotography

Getting to grips with starting with imaging then look at where you might go next. If you already have a dslr and kit lens there is lots to try and techniques to learn.

This thread is from members without an equatorial mount.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/228101-the-no-eq-dso-challenge/?fromsearch=1

You don't say what mount you have or what camera.

Nappy Kat that's the kind of advice I'm looking for great thread it gets very discouraging for newbies cause of all the expense and I understand why people think not taking up astronomy or astrophotography has you need lots of money to do it thanks for the help got my hopes up again in getting some kind of image

If you are handy, you could have a go at making a 'barn door tracker'  (Google it or I'll post a link, if you can't find a suitable one). 

I made mine from bits and pieces that were lying around but even if you have to buy the hardware a tenner should cover it. Mount your DSLR on that and see what you can get.  Here's an image I took with a bridge camera mounted on mine.  With a DSLR and a a higher ISO (I was limited to ISO 200 and 30 secs of exposure) you will be able to do much better. 

post-38153-0-45362400-1453401193_thumb.j

Archived