Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where have all the Skywatcher HEQ5 SynTrek mounts gone?

lewis_riches

I really like the idea of this mount. Sturdy with a high payload capacity, Dec and RA motors and ST-4 port for AutoGuider, and, crucially, no added cost of GOTO handset (which amounts to roughly £130 depending on where you buy from).

Unfortunately, Skywatcher do not list this mount on their website any more and all the retailers I have checked with do not have any in stock, so I assume it's discontinued. Is there a good alternative to this model?

What I'm looking for:

> Suitable for imaging

> Capable of supporting a 13Kg payload

> Fitted ST-4 Autoguider port

> Plug for polar scope (preferably with scope included)

Not interested in GOTO so if I could forego the added expense, that would be a bonus. Problem is: I can't find anything that has basic controls but is also equipped with the above features. Any ideas...?

Thanks

Lewis

If your payload is really 13KG, then that is the max of the HEQ5. Even with the 20KG capacity of the AZ-EQ6 it would be touch and go for imaging.

So if your payload is going to be 13KG, then you should be looking at a mount with about a payload capacity of 25KG or more.

That said, I do love my AZ-EQ6, but then my payload is well under 10 KG (at least so far).

Are they that heavy?

They are quite weighty, if you're considering one I would suggest assembling one before you buy. I don't regard myself as a weakling and to be fair, I don't have too much problem putting it together (lifting the mount onto the tripod is the worst part) but it is heavy. Providing you are able to manhandle it, it is an excellent mount.

If your payload is really 13KG, then that is the max of the HEQ5. Even with the 20KG capacity of the AZ-EQ6 it would be touch and go for imaging.

So if your payload is going to be 13KG, then you should be looking at a mount with about a payload capacity of 25KG or more.

That said, I do love my AZ-EQ6, but then my payload is well under 10 KG (at least so far).

Currently it's closer to 7Kg, once all the accessories are added. In hindsight I should have mentioned that 13Kg is probably the max load I want to aim for. I appreciate they're two different things as it would be far better for imaging to use a mount that is capable of supporting at least another half of the used payload.

Hi

I have a Heq5 Syntrek - of course you can control them via a computer! That was the whole point - being able to buy the mount without the expensive Synscan. However, it appears they are no longer being offered, which is a shame.

Louise

Precisely that. I still can't seem to find an alternative of the same weight class. The nearest I could find is this (http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-eq6-syntrek-motorized-mount-tripod.html) but still out of my ideal price range and a little excessive for a 150mm Ritchey-Chrétien weighing about five kilograms.

Precisely that. I still can't seem to find an alternative of the same weight class. The nearest I could find is this (http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-eq6-syntrek-motorized-mount-tripod.html) but still out of my ideal price range and a little excessive for a 150mm Ritchey-Chrétien weighing about five kilograms.

Hi

I have the Celestron AVX also, which is similar to the heq5 pro but not much cheaper unfortunately. I'd really like something in between the eq5 and heq5 (for greater portability) but there doesn't seem to be anything in that category either :(. The weak pound probably won't help in the medium term...

Louise

Archived