Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hadley Rille

StarSapling

I very rarely have the opportunity to use the maximum effective magnification on my 90mm refractor. Last night was one of those opportunities, so I took advantage of it.

1/17/2016 - Oracle, Arizona - seeing good/excellent - trans fair - obs. good

90mm f10 refractor

Luna - 182x - Best view yet, by far, of the southern portion of Hadley Rille - appeared as a definite arc from its southern source out to the west and back into the shadow of the mountains - I even imagined that I caught occasional hints of the northern portion of the rille!

That part of the Moon is one of my favourites to explore with a scope :icon_biggrin:

It's fun to trace the Hadley Rille as it snakes around the Apennine range. It's possible to see the sections visited by the Apollo 15 astronauts where there is a sharp "elbow" in the Rille.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18 January 2016 at 17:28, John said:

That part of the Moon is one of my favourites to explore with a scope :icon_biggrin:

It's fun to trace the Hadley Rille as it snakes around the Apennine range. It's possible to see the sections visited by the Apollo 15 astronauts where there is a sharp "elbow" in the Rille.

Me too John. When the terminator permits, it's the first target I go for. I always think back to the Apollo 15 images of this immense groove snaking across the moon's surface and the mountain in the background. Brings lunar astronomy to life.

Archived