Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light M42

Stu1976j

Well here is my very first attempt of M42 with my canon EOS500d.

No guiding 

38 x 1.3 sec exposures at 275mm f5.4 iso6400 stacked in DSS. I had a play in adobe lightroom and gimp but again getting used to all the controls.

I have yet to add flats bias and darks but was quite pleased with the fact I got anything as the conditions where not brilliant and it is my first go.

I will update with final after adding the above soon.

Any comments are welcome :)

post-48430-0-03898800-1453108887_thumb.j

Well done,

I'm on around my fourth attempt at M42 and still not getting anything as good as you.

Thanks, I am hoping for another clear night before too much longer and try to do more lights this time using same exposure time but lowering the iso to 3200 maybe, in hope that the core is not so bright and hopefully get a little more detail. 

As I have said new to all this so just experimenting until I get it right :)

What set up have you been using to capture it ?

That image is great, and I mean for lots of reasons.

Looks like you've got the whole sword nicely centered.  It's not guided, but the stars do look like points rather than lines.  You've managed to overexpose the trapesium.  Which is great news - next time, try taking some short exposures, to split the trapeizum, then take long photos to capture the fainter stuff.

257mm at F5.4 sounds like you are using a lens rather than a telescope - looking at the artifacts in your first image, I think there's a focussing issue.  To resolve that, it's worth investing in a Batinov mask.  This will help you to get pin point focus.   There's loads of noise in the image - that'll be mainly because you are using ISO6400.  To resolve the noise, you'll need to take a lot more frames.  Last time I took a 1/2 decent astro photo, I had 40 frames, at ISO800.  So I think for ISO6400 you'd be looking to capture erm, 320 frames to get a similar signal to noise ratio.  It's roughly 8 times the number of frames that you are taking at the moment.  Again, I'd do the same for darks, flats and bias too in order to keep the signal to noise ratio the same across the whole image set.

Luckily for you, 320*1.3 seconds, won't be too bad.  I tend to use 5 min exposures, so for me, I'm talking about image sets that take hours to capture. ;)     I think you'll be able to capture the full set in about 20 mins.

That image is great, and I mean for lots of reasons.

Looks like you've got the whole sword nicely centered.  It's not guided, but the stars do look like points rather than lines.  You've managed to overexpose the trapesium.  Which is great news - next time, try taking some short exposures, to split the trapeizum, then take long photos to capture the fainter stuff.

257mm at F5.4 sounds like you are using a lens rather than a telescope - looking at the artifacts in your first image, I think there's a focussing issue.  To resolve that, it's worth investing in a Batinov mask.  This will help you to get pin point focus.   There's loads of noise in the image - that'll be mainly because you are using ISO6400.  To resolve the noise, you'll need to take a lot more frames.  Last time I took a 1/2 decent astro photo, I had 40 frames, at ISO800.  So I think for ISO6400 you'd be looking to capture erm, 320 frames to get a similar signal to noise ratio.  It's roughly 8 times the number of frames that you are taking at the moment.  Again, I'd do the same for darks, flats and bias too in order to keep the signal to noise ratio the same across the whole image set.

Luckily for you, 320*1.3 seconds, won't be too bad.  I tend to use 5 min exposures, so for me, I'm talking about image sets that take hours to capture. ;)     I think you'll be able to capture the full set in about 20 mins.

Hi and thanks for the kind words :)

Yes you are correct in thinking there is no telescope involved in the above images, just a tripod my camera and a wireless remote plus the 70mm - 300mm lens.

And for sure I can try for mixed exposure on the next clear night. And more frames. after being suprised by this first go it has encouraged me to get out there and do a lot more.

And receiving help from people on here goes a long way to.

Good effort with such short subs. If you use your 18-50 lens at 50mm you'll be able to get longer exposures before trailing. Its amazing how much detail can come out of widefield shots like that, give it a go next time your out. :icon_biggrin:

Good effort with such short subs. If you use your 18-50 lens at 50mm you'll be able to get longer exposures before trailing. Its amazing how much detail can come out of widefield shots like that, give it a go next time your out. :icon_biggrin:

I will give it a go for sure, it's looking like we may be in for a clear night tonight fingers crossed so maybe have time to try a few different ways. And off work tomorrow so will have plenty of time to play with processing and other half at work so no moaning :)

Thanks, I am hoping for another clear night before too much longer and try to do more lights this time using same exposure time but lowering the iso to 3200 maybe, in hope that the core is not so bright and hopefully get a little more detail. 

As I have said new to all this so just experimenting until I get it right :)

What set up have you been using to capture it ?

I blew the core out the first couple of attempts thinking i needed a really high iso but i tried a couple of test 2sec exposures @ iso 800 and was pleasantly surprised.

I have been using just my canon 60d with the 16-300mm Tamron @ 300mm.

I blew the core out the first couple of attempts thinking i needed a really high iso but i tried a couple of test 2sec exposures @ iso 800 and was pleasantly surprised.

I have been using just my canon 60d with the 16-300mm Tamron @ 300mm.

Hi thanks for sharing your info, I am guessing you use tracking on your images. I am hoping to purchase something for tracking soon.

Have you posted any pics of your attempts yet. would be interesting to compare ?

Archived