Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Power Tanks - Capacities; Disadvantages

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started out with a Maplins jump starter but after a year of use I found it just didn't hold a charge, maybe I didn't charge it properly or the battery just wasn't much cop to start off with (the 'charged status' LEDs didn't really tell me much, my Ring smart charger had a few goes at charging it but it just got worse and worse).

I ditched these and moved to leisure batteries, never really looked back.  Now all of my mounts are driven by them, hooked up directly with an in-line fuse and the appropriate battery clips; the larger battery, I think it's 80Ah, should be sufficient to drive my NEQ6 with dew heaters for three hours at least (typically the longest I am out for), although I now have a smaller leisure battery which I believe will run the mount for the same run time without all of the dew heater tapes and is half the size and weight (the 80Ah is a heavy beast!)

I have plans in my head to build or acquire a suitable carry box for the smaller battery so that I can mount a power readout, fixed sockets and such, and have a big comfy carry handle.  A case would also protect it from the chill a bit.  A modified tool box might just do the trick if I can find one strong enough and the right size, I know there are those marine battery boxes but they cost a small fortune for what they are.

On 06/02/2016 at 16:59, markthg said:

I'm a bit late to this party, but, I just got this from Halfords for a bargain £39!

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/jump-leads/phaze-4-in-1-jump-starter

With that kind of unit you should use a normal car battery charger on normal charge mode (i.e. not fast charge, it will probably shorten the life of the battery), it should charge fine through the big clips so just clip those onto the charger clips and you're away.  They often come with a daft little mains charger plug, generally they are useless.

You have to keep them charged up so be ready to put it on charge immediately after use, and don't discharge past 50% (effectively that gives you about 7Ah, after which you risk permanent damage to the battery); keep charging it once every three months, sooner if they are stored in a cold place.

Archived