Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSO Astrophotography - changing kit, but to what???

I've been getting more and more into Astrophotography (mainly planetary, with some DSLR wide field stuff too) but the DSO bug has got a hold of me since imaging the Leo Triplet, M31 and some Globular Clusters back in March, while under The Lake District's perfect clear, dark skies.

I'm using a Nexstar 6SE, so I'm on an AltAz mount, so I know the mount will have to change to EQ if I want to get better results. I was considering an AVX mount and that was the issue sorted, but seeing the size of it, has me considering going in a different direction...

Should I sell the 6SE and get a whole new set up?

Thinking of going smaller, as having something more portable would be a real advantage too.

Considering an ED80 DS Pro, but wanted to know if moving to an 80mm APO refractor, would be better or worse than the 150mm SCT I have?

Next query is back to the mount. As I'll still need EQ, what would be the best option for the ED80? Is there a sturdy EQ mount that can handle the OTA, DSLR and be future proof in case I one day add a small guide scope, or would I still need an AVX or HEQ5, etc?

Grrrr, why did I get hooked on this hobby!!!

I cant comment on a comparison between your current scope and the ED80 as I havent used both.

I do use an ED80 on a HEQ5 and the HEQ5 is often suggested as being the minimum for an ED80  - when its loaded up with flattener/reducer, camera, filter wheel, guide scope, guide camera etc the weight soon goes up ! The HEQ5 handles it with no issues. (the combo of ED80 and HEQ5 is an often suggested setup for good reason)

If I had my time again I would have gone for the AZ EQ6 GT or similar from day one and given myself some future proofing.  

Many imagers stress the importance of the stability of the mount.  The Celestron Advanced VX, or AVX, is considered entry-level for deep-sky astrophotography.  An EQ6 would the next step up...

https://watchthisspaceman.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/img_1654-medium.jpg

An 80mm ED or apochromatic refractor is considered one of the "de facto" telescopes for deep-sky imaging, but an inexpensive 130mm f/5 Newtonian can be used as well, and perhaps even on an AVX or another EQ5-class mount.  The use of faster telescopes results in faster exposures, and less time spent; f/5 to f/6 is fast, whilst f/10 to f/12 is slow.  There are many variables in choosing the right telescope.

If a single error occurs during a time-exposure, and due to an unsteady mount, the image would become blurred, and all would be for naught.  Larger telescopes, like a 150mm f/4 Newtonian, would also serve for imaging on an EQ6, and for galaxies at least...

https://www.astronomytechnologies.com/images/Product/large/18868_2_.jpg

Imaging is almost totally different from visual observations, and can be very expensive.

Archived