NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Barn door tracker

gtis

Absolutely! Motorising these Barn Door (Scotch) mounts is a relatively new departure from the original design. In the original design, a disk and pointer are used to mimic the movement of a second hand on a nearby clock - it is all a matter of gearing and timing.

Initially they were just a screw thread such that one turn of the screw moved the "arm" the correct amount in angle for a 1 minute duration, about 1/4 of a degree (15/60).

The trick is getting the thread and the position matched up. The as said previously you rotated in accordance with the second hand on a watch.

Likely easier these days to use an allen head screw and an allen key.

Motorising them is a bit of a pain as getting a motor and gear box that rotates slow enough is not overly easy, as the final rate has to be 1 rpm.

P.S. Thanks for the link Steve, looks like something to do one cloudy nigh, which looks like it will be tonight.

The 1/4 x 20 bolt mentioned in the link is a US designation for a thread - for the UK you should find a 1/4 BSW bolt.  (1/4 inch diameter and 20 turns per inch thread pitch).  3/8 BSF is a possible substitute as it is also 20 tpi pitch - the diameter being irrelevant in this situation.

This website helps you with the maths of knowing for the threaded rod size you have bought how far away the hinge needs to be.

http://blarg.co.uk/astronomy/barn-door-tracker-calculator

For my design I used an m10 bolt this just meant my boards ended up being quite long and in hindsight a m6 or m8 would have been better.

I made one that does not need a tripod but will sit on a flat surface. I also chose a straight rod design, there are 4 main designs I chose the simplest to get going with.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/222131-my-barn-door-build/?fromsearch=1

I used it to capture comet Lovejoy. (I do have the parts to motorise it but it is still manual and if the weather ever gets a break I intend to use it again).

Have fun with you project.

Hi

Thanks can't i just make a wedge with two hinged pieces of wood and a threaded bar and set it to

My latitude and point it to Polaris and use the goto to rotate telescope

Neil

Your GoTo mount would need to support being put into EQ mode only.

Then if you have your mount on a wedge it would only track in RA axis and it should work.

You have a Nexstar I thought you could buy a wedge for those mounts?

A bit mroe reading and probably not to either.

Probably best to do some research on this to see what you mgiht be able to do.

Your GoTo mount would need to support being put into EQ mode only.

Then if you have your mount on a wedge it would only track in RA axis and it should work.

You have a Nexstar I thought you could buy a wedge for those mounts?

A bit mroe reading and probably not to either.

Probably best to do some research on this to see what you mgiht be able to do.

Hi

They make a wedge for the evolution but it's about £300

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Celestron-Wedge-for-NexStar-Evolution-and-SE6-8-93665.html

Neil

• 4 weeks later...

I like to use a metronome app on my iphone (ProMetronome by EUM labs)  to time the turning of the screw. It talks to me in the dark, so I don't need to see a watch dial. Once I find the correct tempo for the beats, I can keep very accurate track of the stars. For you musically inclined out there, set the meter to 5/4, that will give you a "pling" on the first group of five second intervals... I like to set it to 15/4, and that gives me a "pling" every 15 seconds, close enough for hand turning. If you don't understand, ask.

That's an idea.

I sometimes use barn door clock my member Agnes it has built in tangent error correction though I don't turn it by hand long enough to make use of it I don't think.

Just checked the metronome is not compatible with my tablet.

Archived