Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tips on Cleaning Binoculars (Canon 15x50)

Oli

Hi,

Had a great few hours yesterday with clear skies at the beach. However when I came back in from the dark I noticed quite a large amount of grit/dirt (I presume from the salt spray) on the lenses on my Canon 15x50. I've read I need to either get a brush or air compressor to remove the dirt and then wipe with a lens cloth (Canon didn't provide one).

1. Is there anything else I need to know on cleaning the lenses?

2. Is it better to use an air compressor or brush?

3. Is there a recommended lens cleaning kit I can buy?

4. Should I add a lens filter to my binoculars as I will be using these by beach fairly often?

Quick search on on google gave me this ebay link with a few tips (http://www.ebay.com/...77629103/g.html)

Thanks,

Oli

I would not used compressed air. Use a hand blower to remove the grit . Do not brush. You will almost certainly scratch the lenses. I use Baader wonder fluid and a microfibres cloth as supplied by FLO, but first you have to make sure all the grit is removed. If this does not blow off you could gently stream de-ionised water on the lenses and tried to wash it off. Hold the bins upside down so that the water runs off and does it collect on the lenses.

I would not used compressed air. Use a hand blower to remove the grit . Do not brush. You will almost certainly scratch the lenses. I use Baader wonder fluid and a microfibres cloth as supplied by FLO, but first you have to make sure all the grit is removed. If this does not blow off you could gently stream de-ionised water on the lenses and tried to wash it off. Hold the bins upside down so that the water runs off and does it collect on the lenses.

Thanks. Is there anything on the below website that can be recommend? If not then I'll have to order online.

http://www.castlecameras.co.uk/camera-accessories/cleaning-accessories

Thanks, I just ordered the Baader wonder fluid and cloth. I've read a little bit about salt spray affecting the coating on the lenses which is concerning since most of my astronomy is done by the beach. I'm not sure if people are being melodramatic about the damage but it's making me consider getting a UV filter for the Canon's.

Probably an obvious answer here, but if I just use distilled water, I presume I dry it with the microfibre cloth and not just leave it to dry?

I'm also looking at purchasing this UV filter to protect the lens (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoya-58mm-Digital-Screw-Filter/dp/B002L6937C/ref=pd_cp_421_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DTX8Y5K8FB5YY0YTBM0).

Oli

Just received the Baader Optic Wonder fluid today. Was I supposed to get instructions with these? All I've got is the fluid and the cloth, unless they've hidden it in the packaging somewhere.

Just received the Baader Optic Wonder fluid today. Was I supposed to get instructions with these? All I've got is the fluid and the cloth, unless they've hidden it in the packaging somewhere.

As said Oli, just blow any grit off with a puff blower. Then spray the Wonderfluid onto the cloth and apply the damp cloth to the lens. I tend to spray a reasonable amount on, then dab at the lens to get it all covered before doing any cleaning. My hopes are that this softens any dirt on the surface and helps to avoid any damage.

In theory it should evaporate off without leaving marks once you've had a wipe round with a dry piece of the cloth, but it often takes a few goes.

As said Oli, just blow any grit off with a puff blower. Then spray the Wonderfluid onto the cloth and apply the damp cloth to the lens. I tend to spray a reasonable amount on, then dab at the lens to get it all covered before doing any cleaning. My hopes are that this softens any dirt on the surface and helps to avoid any damage.

In theory it should evaporate off without leaving marks once you've had a wipe round with a dry piece of the cloth, but it often takes a few goes.

Thanks. I did manage to find them online in case anyone is needs them.

http://www.baader-planetarium.de/com/pdf/opticalWonder-engl.pdf

Archived