Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

If I can ever get this straightned out (and see some clear nights)

With all the toys I'm collecting I should be able to align my scope without too much effort (the physical effort is what kills me). That's assuming there are going to be 1 or more clear nights in the future.

Still have to figure on a chair of some sort, probably a plastic lawn chair, then a table (light) to put my laptop on (connected to the Orion StarShoot). Sounds like I'm going overboard but from the physical problems I've experienced so far I need to spend as little time as possible standing and mot bending over or kneeling.

In other posts I've mentioned cataract surgery with the concomitant loss of ability to focus my eyes (not to mention a bit of astigmatism).

However I'm not giving up finding solutions that will allow me to observe. Once that objective is achieved I'll decide what if any area I want to concentrate on.

I should have gotten an 8" Schmidt-cassgrain goto scope and will be putting aside some $ for the same. I've been looking to see if the prices have dropped to a reasonable level (for me that is) but so far everything is still out of my league. I understand the Celestron 114LCM is a little under powered for much other than solar system objects. I'd like to be able to see DSO's at something better than smudges.

My wife will have a fit if I get another scope without proving I'm serious about astronomy by going out at night and bringing home some proof of viewing (hence the StarShoot). I told her I would show her some images that I can display on our 62" TV.

Oh dear, that last sentence promising some proof. You may now be on to a hiding for nothing. If like my other half it will have to rival Hubble. :)

Derek

Not hiding, she knows I want to show her some images that don't come over the TV and approves. She is, though, a bit miffed that I don't go out more often to do some viewing. She doesn't understand the physical stress it puts on me having to kneel or squat to aim the scope or the fact the skies haven't been clear for weeks now.

I'm not sure she'd recognize the difference if it came from my efforts. :grin:

Have a look at M42 with your scope - it's a bit more than a smudge - more like beautiful swirling clouds. But for higher resolution and a larger view in the eyepiece you need more aperture.  In 10"-16" dobs it looks quite detailed and the 4 trapezium stars become obvious - over 20" you get to see all the faint stuff round it - it's much bigger than one thinks - huge!.

In smaller scopes though (8" and less) you have to train the eye to eek out the detail with careful looking - even so with planets. A very dark site helps and full dark adaption very important. But it's still shades of grey - don't expect colour. Hth :)

Have a look at M42 with your scope - it's a bit more than a smudge - more like beautiful swirling clouds. But for higher resolution and a larger view in the eyepiece you need more aperture.  In 10"-16" dobs it looks quite detailed and the 4 trapezium stars become obvious - over 20" you get to see all the faint stuff round it - it's much bigger than one thinks - huge!.

In smaller scopes though (8" and less) you have to train the eye to eek out the detail with careful looking - even so with planets. A very dark site helps and full dark adaption very important. But it's still shades of grey - don't expect colour. Hth :)

The problem is that all viewing will, unfortunately, be, for physical reasons, by computer display.

Archived