Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First viewing advice

Hi all, 

Got my telescope a week ago, have got it all assembled, but not had chance to go outdoors yet, due to work and not having adequate clear skies. Just after any tips and advice in general and what to expect from my first outing, hoping to go out tomorrow, if the skies allow. All advice welcome  :grin:

Get to know all the controls of your scope and how it works during the daytime - then close your eyes and try using it. That's pretty close to how it will be in the night time. Get it set up outside while you can see what you're doing - it's 100 times harder in the dark. And align the finder with the main scope in the light - use a distant point source object like a church spire or pylon tip a mile or two away. That should help get you well on the way for your first session. :)

Lots of good advice already given. As for your first session it helps if the moon is available and preferably not full. You can practice focusing your scope on the craters. Try out your different eyepieces and learn how to manoeuvre your scope. As for other targets if you do not have Go To you will have to learn some of the ajar constellations so that you can find your way around the sky. If you do not have a planisphere then get one. It will be a great help. You can use an app such as Stellarium, but above all just go out there and enjoy yourself.

Let your telescope adjust to the outside temperature for about 30 minutes before using. Also try to let your eyes adjust to the darkness for a similar time. A torch with a red light (could be a regular torch covered with red plastic/cellophane) will also help to keep your night vision.

Stellarium is a great free computer program which will enable you to see "what's up" in the sky and where at any particular time/location. The Moon, planets, Great Nebula in Orion, Pleides are all worth looking for!

Start with low magnification if you have different eyepieces, and gradually increase. You often don't need very high magnifications, and often seeing conditions limit what you can usefully use anyway.

Have fun!

Thanks for the advice guys, i'm going to get her out shortly, the  moon looks really good tonight, not quite full, i've familiarised myself with the controls. Tonight, i'm just going to concentrate on the moon, see how i get on from there.

Lots of good advice already given. As for your first session it helps if the moon is available and preferably not full. You can practice focusing your scope on the craters. Try out your different eyepieces and learn how to manoeuvre your scope. As for other targets if you do not have Go To you will have to learn some of the ajar constellations so that you can find your way around the sky. If you do not have a planisphere then get one. It will be a great help. You can use an app such as Stellarium, but above all just go out there and enjoy yourself.

Hi Laudropb, i do have Stellarium, and i also have am app on my phone for using outside, called Skyview, it's quite good.

Archived