Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello, From the Merry Family from Essex, UK

djjohnmerry

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi John and family, buying a telescope leads you into your first difficulty, especially if you have no experience of the subject of Astronomy. How do you find your way about the night sky?, with the exception of observing the Moon.

A highly recommended publication for you to obtain is "Turn Left at Orion" probably the most widely used book on the subject by those just starting out, as well as seasoned observers. Treat it as a family "unbirthday" present, then at least you as a family will have gained some knowledge, prior to using the telescope at Christmas, weather permitting.

There is also a wealth of experience and knowledge to be found in the forums sub sections and it would be well worth looking at some of them and making inquiries, before committing yourself to spending further moneys on optics and accessories for the telescope, enjoy your new scope and the forum :)

Early morning is the best time to see jupiter, venus (and even mars) at the moment, rather than staying up late.

You can't miss venus and jupiter as once its bright enough for the stars to disappear they still stand out, just look either side of South. Moons of jupiter will be easy to see once focused. A few months to wait for Saturn to start to reappear in the morning. Mars will get easier (bigger) over the next few months.

If the weather follows the same pattern it had for a while, then early morning is also statistically less likely to be wet or cloudy (IIRC).

In the evening, spot the easily recognised constellation of Orion in the east. Looking around his sword you will see a big fuzzy nebula - let the kids know that's where stars are being born.There's lots more (nebulas and coloured stars) to find. The Pleiades and Hyades are high up to his right, you can see they are clusters with your eyes, but through the scope they will not disappoint.

There are a few clubs in Essex, check if any are within reach. http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/

The PS-80 is a nice start.

For Jupiter you will need about 60x and above, an eyepiece of around 10mm (90x) will be good.

Saturn needs a bit more and you will need say an 8mm (112x), maybe a bit more magnification.

At f/11 most decent plossl's will be fine, so no need for overly costly ones, but if you carry on then might be worthwhile looking at bit costlier items simply to use on whatever next.

Hi Ronin,

Thanks for the info :-) however I see you talk about At f/11 most decent plossl's will be fine, Sorry I am not sure what that means by f/11?  I will have a look on the forums but I am curious.  Also is there a beginners standard to eyepieces in the sense of size to viewing the planets i.e. 10mm Saturn & 8mm Juniper.  I hope this makes sense?

Early morning is the best time to see jupiter, venus (and even mars) at the moment, rather than staying up late.

You can't miss venus and jupiter as once its bright enough for the stars to disappear they still stand out, just look either side of South. Moons of jupiter will be easy to see once focused. A few months to wait for Saturn to start to reappear in the morning. Mars will get easier (bigger) over the next few months.

If the weather follows the same pattern it had for a while, then early morning is also statistically less likely to be wet or cloudy (IIRC).

In the evening, spot the easily recognised constellation of Orion in the east. Looking around his sword you will see a big fuzzy nebula - let the kids know that's where stars are being born.There's lots more (nebulas and coloured stars) to find. The Pleiades and Hyades are high up to his right, you can see they are clusters with your eyes, but through the scope they will not disappoint.

Thanks for the info that is great :-) it all helps :-)

Hi John and family, buying a telescope leads you to into your first difficulty, especially if you have no experience of the subject of Astronomy. How do you find your way about the night sky?, with the exception of observing the Moon.

A highly recommended publication for you to obtain is "Turn Left at Orion" probably the most widely used book on the subject by those just starting out, as well as seasoned observers. Treat it as a family "unbirthday" present, then at least you as a family will have gained some knowledge, prior to using the telescope at Christmas, weather permitting.

There is also a wealth of experience and knowledge to be found in the forums sub sections and it would be well worth looking at some of them and making inquiries, before committing yourself to spending further moneys on optics and accessories for the telescope, enjoy your new scope and the forum :)

Thanks for the heads up :-) I will look out for it 

Archived