Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Paralyzed by choice.......

Hi,

my current scopes are:

CPC1100 - used for planetary imaging

Takahashi TSA120 - mounted in obs on a Losmandy G11

I also have an AZEQ6 mount which is to be used as a portable mount for imaging.

I had intended on taking the Tak to dark skies and using it on the AZEQ6, hawever an accident that damaged the focuser on it last week has made me paranoid about mounting/demounting it. It is now fixed and as good as new, but no thanks to Takahashi who were incredibly unhelpful. I'm lucky that I have friends who are machinists.

My choices are basically budget limited - around $2000 Australian dollars.

I can do:

Skywatcher Quattro 8" plus Baader MPCC or Skywatcher aplanatic Coma Corrector

Skywatcher MN190

Skywatcher F5 Newt with Skywatcher .9x coma corrector plus Moonlight Electric Focuser (lower cost by far than either of the previous 2 options)

Skywatcher ED80 plus reducer/corrector

William Optics GT81+fl6a corrector.

I'm less inclined to go with the refractors due to the short focal length, and the Skywatcher coma corrector is an unknown quantity to me.

I have no experience of the MN190 and have a few concerns about the Skywatcher focuser - is it any good? Needs to hold a QHY9 plus filter wheel.

Lots of questions I know, but I am really having trouble making a decision.

Opinions?

cheers

Gary

As a non imager I've really no business advising you, but your mention of dark skies suggest widefield DSO AP for which a short focus quality refractor is well suited. Wgat I can say, with authority, is that the Skywatcher F5 Newt is the cheapest to drop!  :smiley:

As a non imager I've really no business advising you, but your mention of dark skies suggest widefield DSO AP for which a short focus quality refractor is well suited. Wgat I can say, with authority, is that the Skywatcher F5 Newt is the cheapest to drop!  :smiley:

That is EXACTLY why the F5 newt is appealing to me :-)  !!! after my experience last week....

Gary

Archived