NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice please - first telescope with AP a longer-term aim?

Hi All

I'd like some advice please on a first telescope.  Ultimately what interests me most is astrophotography and DSOs.  Currently I live in Surrey 5 miles from town on an unlit road but I'm definitely time-poor.  In 2 years time I hope to be living on or near Dartmoor and have a lot more time - if I can end up being able to create nice images of M31, Dumb Bell, Pleiades etc I would be very pleased :)

So my plan was to get a telescope to get my skills and knowledge up initially, without splashing the serious cash of a fuller/better AP setup.  Of course this presents a problem in that whatever I look at for a low/starter price is not ultimately going to be suitable for proper AP... so I need something that will be good enough to check that I'm interested enough (and interest the kids too if possible!), and to learn more about astronomy in general.  My wife has also said I can get it for Christmas if it's "not too expensive"...

At the moment I'm looking at the Sky-Watcher Star Discovery 150P for £359 - I'm pretty sure I want the GoTo as I have very little spare time, and apparently this scope can be used for some basic AP with a DSLR... but of course it's not an EQ mount.  Is this setup a reasonable compromise that will let me get good views and perhaps photos of planets, but also good enough to view some of the DSOs?  Is it worth getting this over say the Sky-Watcher Skyhawk-1145P SynScan AZ GoTo which is £90 cheaper?  I believe that the shorter focal range / wider field of view is better for DSOs, but I think these are both f/5?

Any pointers would be gratefully received - if I can provide more info to clarify anything let me know!

Hi

A member flyingfuzz has recently got the star discovery and has written about it a couple times, they are pleased with it.

The £90 is getting considerably more aperature. It is f5 let's in more light but won't disappoint on the Moon or planets.

Or spend less on the starrtravel 102mm alaz goto, it would be my choice if you went smaller/cheaper.

If you get hooked on astro photography you will soon discover that the words "astrophotography and cheap" are mutually exclusive so by all means get the Star Discovery then you can always sell it and a kidney and buy imaging kit :)

Dave

Have you considered something like this: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html which has the advantage of being on an equatorial mount, £100 cheaper, and you can add tracking motors (RA and Dec) for another £95. You would then be in a position to view dso's and also do some elementary dso imaging (as well as planets/moon).

When you want to get serious with photography you can then just upgrade the mount and add guiding. You can also do minor upgrades to the OTA (optical tube assembly) as and when affordable - e.g. dual speed focusing (circa £70), right angled finder (circa £85), dew control (circa £100), motor focuser etc.

You'd learn how to use an equatorial mount, have electronic tracking from the get go, and be in a stronger position to delve into imaging having spent a year or so learning the skies and it's seasons with the right gear. Then if the interest is still there you can treat yourself to a nice shiny HEQ5 (or similar) and guiding, down the line without the cost of the tube on top. I do like alt/az mounts as well, but it's a good idea to get familiar with the type of gear you'll eventually use.

And if you really want to save money then go second hand - you'd reduce these prices by about a third. Just an idea - hope it  helps. :)

A member flyingfuzz has recently got the star discovery and has written about it a couple times, they are pleased with it.

In the mean time you could start using stellarium, great software.

I spoke to Flyingfuzz by PM and he is still very happy with the star discovery, so definitely a positive review!  I'll get Stellarium too, I think I had a copy about 15 years ago...

If you get hooked on astro photography you will soon discover that the words "astrophotography and cheap" are mutually exclusive so by all means get the Star Discovery then you can always sell it and a kidney and buy imaging kit :)

I'll have the kids on standby :)

Have you considered something like this: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html which has the advantage of being on an equatorial mount, £100 cheaper, and you can add tracking motors (RA and Dec) for another £95. You would then be in a position to view dso's and also do some elementary dso imaging (as well as planets/moon).

And if you really want to save money then go second hand - you'd reduce these prices by about a third. Just an idea - hope it  helps. :)

Thanks for the suggestion... the problem is that this won't have the GoTo, even if it could have tracking, and as I'm so short of time I really feel this is important for me.  I think if I'm still keen on the photography in a couple of years' time I would most likely buy the right kit rather than try to upgrade in stages.  I noticed the second hand prices are a good saving, but given my lack of knowledge I'd be worried about what I was buying.

Archived