NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astro-Observatory

recceranger

Applied for funding a while back for an Astro-Obsevatory. Just been told this week we were successful.

2.7m Full height dome, CPC 1100 XLT with pier and a few wee accessories already ordered.

All should be built by mid Feb 2016.

Happy happy happy!

We got the funding via Armed Forces Covenant Grants Scheme. All about military civilian integration.

The Obs is for use by anyone but our local Astro Society have been invited to use as required. I'm hoping local schools make use of it also.

The reasoning behind the CPC 1100 is that I need to leave something easy to use by staff that wouldn't normally be into astronomy (I move on soon). The theory is - open up, switch on and observe. No messing with an EQ etc. Additionally its primary purpose is visual. It's easy to attach a DSLR and give the kids a go at A Focal imaging or Live View.

Hopefully it ignites their imagination and gives them a gentle nudge in the direction of science. At the very least it will get them looking up!

Archived