Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where's Cassini?

JohnSadlerAstro

Hi guys,

I spent lots of time looking at Saturn during and after May's opposition, but I never once saw the Cassini Division, and none of my photos showed it either. I've been told that it can be seen with a 76mm refractor, and my 'scope is a 130mm reflector. Does anyone know why I'm not seeing this? Could it be that my mirrors need collimation?

John

It's not actually easy to see even with the right aperture, if the seeing conditions are not pretty good. Your scope needs to be properly cooled and collimated and a decent quality eyepiece plus some experience can help too !

Here is a diagram of the main Saturnian features. Visually, with a small scope under moderate seeing conditions things like the Cassini Division and the Crepe Ring can be really challenging to pick out despite their clarity in the diagram !:

post-118-0-54025900-1448272434.jpg

Saturn is also pretty low down for UK latitudes at the moment (<20 degrees, and getting worse for the next few years), and that makes it all the more awkward for seeing things like the Cassini division. I only managed it on a couple of the better nights back in the summer with an 8" scope - mostly it was all far too mushy. Should be peachy in about 15 years' time though. :smile:

Archived