Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Leonids meteor shower 17-18th

Ooh this one has crept up on us given I can't find a thread for it yet, I guess we are all captivated by the Taurid fireballs. :D

Anyway turnsout tonight and tomorrow is the peak of this years Leonids.

November’s wonderful Leonid meteor shower happens every year at this time, as our world crosses the orbital path of Comet Tempel-Tuttle. Like many comets, Tempel-Tuttle litters its orbit with bits of debris. It’s when this cometary debris enters Earth’s atmosphere, and vaporizes, that we see the Leonid meteor shower. In 2015, the peak night of the shower is expected from midnight to dawn on Wednesday morning (November 18). The morning before that might be good as well. Although this shower is known for its periodic storms, no Leonid storm is expected this year. The waxing moon will set in the evening hours, so moonlight will not obstruct this year’s Leonid shower. Also, it’ll be fun to look for the bright planet Jupiter, which shines in front of the constellation Leo this year

2015-november-17-leonid-radiant-regulus-

http://earthsky.org/space/everything-you-need-to-know-leonid-meteor-shower

Looking good so far here for now as long as the moisture stays away then I'll be happy.

Best charge up those batteries.

Well there is a good chance I may be stuck under a nice warm blanket of another kind, these mid weekers are not the best time for me at the moment but if it stays clear and dry I may set up a camera.

Leo rises a bit late for me so I hope to see some early ones.

Also just had a tsunami alert here, didn't find out until they cancelled it.

Reassuring. :rolleyes:

Its clear, no cloudy, no clear, well you know how it is. The clouds are flying past at a fair lick but plenty of clear black stuff. Cams are running and data is slowly gathering. I hope it stays like this all night. I'm hoping to catch a few.

Could maybe do with slightly less wind. I just hope my roof cams survive.

Well no luck here, after my last post the clouds came in so didn't see anything and at some random o'clock in the morning they were still there so there was no point in going out.

Annoying things is as the sun came up it started to clear, oh well.

Hope others had better luck than I did.

Archived