Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Californian Nebula (NGC 1499) and M82

halli

Hi All

With the current weather I guess its grab as much data as you can under any conditions that you can see some twinkling above !

I am currently getting used to a RC8 and have switched from OAG guiding to using my trusted ST80.  I share this with my 130pds and have bought a new set of ST80 tube rings which I have bolted to the Losmandy plate on the RC8 (unfortunately drilling was required)  so I can more easily transfer the ST80 between each scope.  I now get confused as to which target I should go for when there is some clear skies around !  Is it small galaxies wih the RC8 or larger nebula with the 130pds also do I use a UHC filter or LPF   I suppose its better having too many choices rather than not enough !

I have attached M82 taken with the RC8 and Canon 1100d and NGC1499 with the 130pds with a LPF in place for the M82 and a UHC filter for NGC1499.  

The trouble with the UHC is that although it really enhances the Ha in the nebula it leaves little star colour !  I guess I should also take  some subs with a LPF to get some star colour and combine them - not sure how I would do that though !  

Anyhow I know these are far from perfect (please ignore the Coma on the 130pds shot, I have no CC) but am pleased that I can now use the two scopes for what they are good at - so they have made me happy because of this.  I used a FR with the RC8 to help with the noise.  They might help to at least illustrate  what differences you get in terms of FOV from the two different scopes shown side by side !

Next step is to get a mono CCD and some filters to help with the battle I am loosing with the DSLR and noise from my light polluted site in Reading particularly with the RC8.  Narrowband here I come.   Christmas may be a chance to justify this rather expensive step to my other half - although I shudder to think what I will need to get her to compensate !!!

M82 used around 12 x 1200s subs

NGC1499 used 9 x 1000s subs

Data was therefore limited due to current bad weather

Please treat as part of the learning curve and be kind to me !!!  Comments welcome.

There's a lot more to learn in PI and also capturing the elusive data !  

Best Wishes

Ian

M82 with GSO RC8

post-36401-0-73710900-1447614682_thumb.j

NGC1499 with 130pds

post-36401-0-00547800-1447614784_thumb.j

Archived