Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problem with Synscan v3 handset

Just received my SW 300p goto dob from Widescreen London yesterday. Put the mount together just in time to First Light the scope on Vega through a clearing in the cloudy sky. Switched on Synscan, entered location date and time and started aligninement when alas, the Synscan (v. 3) handset froze. Switched off and on again, it now it freezes in the ' initialising' screen. Tried everything: different power supply, cables, still freezes. Disappointed...is this a problem with v.3?

Taking it back to Widescreen for replacement.

There are more SW systems out there then alternatives but the number of electronic/software failures seems disproportionally high.

No idea what "Initialising" relates to, unfortunately in software it could be a few areas/steps (I can think of 3) and depends on who wrote the software.

Not sure if you are interested or if they would ship to Andalucia but Astroboot have a V3 Synscan handset for sale at £69. It is one of those instances where having a spare might be a good idea. I have at least one spare for each of the Meade goto's I have.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the messages. Got a replacement from Widescreencentre and it's the new model version 4.37. Works fine this time but the new Handset shape is slightlly different from V.3 so it dosn't fit snugly in the mounting bracket (it has already dislodged itself falling to the the ground on one occasion, luckily undamaged...)

Archived