NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Have 'Scope, Will Travel

Hi All,

About a month or so ago, I posted up a thread about fitting telescopes into small cars as I was thinking of buying one. Well thinking has become reality and my little Dobsonian is now mobile, being able to fit inside my little car (A VW Up!).

The question is, where to take the telescope? Any recommendations of decent-ish dark skies places I could take the 'scope within fairly easy reach of Teddington, SW London? I'm very close to the A316/M3 and the A3 is reasonably easy to get to, but I'm hoping not to have to go too far with it. We've already been down to Ranmore Common during the day and that's eminently do-able, but I don't want to go much beyond an hour from home.

Cheers!

Paul

Hi Paul. As you obviously know, dark sites good for astronomy are tough to find, so most of us have to compromise and hopefully find a place that's better than at home, even though it's not ideal, and not too far.

Have you tried contacting local astronomy clubs ? They are likely to know some decent places.

List of London clubs here - http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/Clubs/Default.aspx?CountyId=6

An alternative is to observe objects least affected by light pollution, moon, planets, double stars, sun by day with a proper filter of course.

Good luck, Ed.

Put a tent in and make it a weekend thing if only once you'll be blown away with the difference...then plan another the next new moon!

Given the weather forecast for this weekend, Paul might literally be blown away if camping!! [emoji6]

Actually I'm packing my trusty ST80 and heading to Madeira on Saturday for some more southerly skies. It'll be nice to have a look for Canopus low on the southern horizon in the wee hours. I have to be very careful though, because when my wife finds out I've bought the telescope along, she tends to give me an earful...

Newlands Corner is a location that I'm aware of; I've hunted down a few places on Google Earth and turned up Puttenham Common as a possibility, or Farley Heath near Albury. A few trips to see my parents will be in order (New Forest) and we are exploring the possibility of camping next year, the one problem being that I really dislike camping. My first objective is to go to the next Walton and Hersham meet at Esher; I've wanted to go for ages but getting there by train is a bit tricksy and time-consuming. That would be my most local astronomical society.

Thanks,

Paul

Actually I'm packing my trusty ST80 and heading to Madeira on Saturday for some more southerly skies. It'll be nice to have a look for Canopus low on the southern horizon in the wee hours. I have to be very careful though, because when my wife finds out I've bought the telescope along, she tends to give me an earful...

Newlands Corner is a location that I'm aware of; I've hunted down a few places on Google Earth and turned up Puttenham Common as a possibility, or Farley Heath near Albury. A few trips to see my parents will be in order (New Forest) and we are exploring the possibility of camping next year, the one problem being that I really dislike camping. My first objective is to go to the next Walton and Hersham meet at Esher; I've wanted to go for ages but getting there by train is a bit tricksy and time-consuming. That would be my most local astronomical society.

Thanks,

Paul

Would be great to see you there Paul. I'll let you know the date, the website says 20th November which is wrong, it will be either 19th or we may switch to 24th.

Archived