Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Shadow of spider vanes in Celestron Astromaster 130EQ

Hi all. Just a query about my Celestron Astromaster 130EQ reflector. About a month ago I wanted to check if my scope was in collimation OK, but at the time I didn't have any collimating tool, so followed the instructions in the Celestron manual with the scope to do this by your eyes only. When I did this although the primary and secondary seem to line up OK after I put a centre mark on the mirror, the secondary mirror was not central when viewed through the eyepiece and was off centre to the left hand side as viewed through the eyepiece, so been a little stupid and naive I thought I'd reposition it so it was central in the eyepiece (after all the manual said it should be!). After doing this and then doing the best visual check to make sure it was collimated again OK I then went outside during the day to test it. As you can guess what happened I then wasn't able to reach focus on distant objects. I then put the mirror back in the position off center in the eyepiece again, and collimated it again as best as I could remember where it was initially. After doing this I then noticed that using my 32mm eyepiece I could see the spider vanes and the secondary mirror when I put my eye up to the eyepiece of the telescope. They did just about disappear when my eye was very close to the eyepiece, but I could see them dancing around the edge of the view through the eyepiece if I moved my eye a little. My question is is this normal for a reflector and nothing to worry about, or have I messed up something big time by altering the secondary mirror. It doesn't seem cause an issue on night time viewing, and only is an issue when using the scope in daylight.

you could read astrobabys guide to collimationhttp://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

your telescope is fast f5 so it is right the reflection is offset in the secondary mirror view, picture in link above showing offset you might expect (in case you previously saw something different)

Thanks happy-Kat. That's pretty much spot on like I have it too, so I guess the collimation is OK then. I guess the issue of seeing the spider vane and central mirror on the 32mm when viewed in the daytime is normal for this scope. Like I say it doesn't cause any problem for night time viewing, so looks like I was worrying over nothing. Cheers! Happy Halloween! : )

Archived