NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepiece recommention

gtis

I think you have all the needed eyepieces to explore the night sky.

Before spending any more money on new eyepiece(s), I think it'll be much better to use the ones you have, even if they're not the best. It'll take sometime before you find out what you want to observe most, splitting double stars, looking at Moons and planets, seeing nebulas, or hunting faint galaxies etc. Also, you may find out your preferences about eyepiece characters, such eye relief, apparent field of view, how you tolerate aberration, transmission, color presentattion, weight and size of eyepieces etc,etc.

Concensus recommendation is usually good, but it'll be better that you know what you want.

I have the same telescope. Actually the stock Celestron 40mm Plossl is extremely good. In an F10 SCT it holds its own against far more expensive eyepieces, though the field of view is relatively narrow. The 13mm EP is like all higher mag Plossls - annoying and uncomfortable. If you were going to invest in some kit that really maximises the potential of the telescope, then I'd suggest a couple of Baader Hyperions - maybe the 10mm and the 21mm. They are £99 at FLO, but worth every penny, as good as EPs twice the price. Then crucially, I'd advise an upgrade of the diagonal - the £75 Skywatcher dialectric or William Optic alternative make a huge difference to performance. Then finally, maybe a Barlow, but for me the two EPs and the diagonal should be first on your list. They quite literally transform the telescope.

Hi gtis,

Yes, I meant two Baader Hyperions. One high-ish power (10mm is perfect for the Evo 6, or you may want to go for the even more powerful 8mm if you have dark, clear skies in your part of Yorkshire), and a medium power one - 21mm, which would complement the two stock Evo EPs. You may want to watch out for secondhand Hyperions coming up for sale - Baader has just launched a new, more expensive range of EPs (Morpheus), which might prompt a few people to offload their Hyperions. But even at £99 new, they are great value. Then I always suggest a new Diagonal - the Celestron one is very basic, and for a single investment, a new dialectric diagonal will improve every view with every eyepiece. I think the cheaper Skywatcher one is basically the same piece of kit as the William Optics one, so I'd go for that.

I've not tried any of the x-cel lx range, but they are well liked by observers. Reasonably good afov (though not as good as the Hyperions), and comfortable eye relief, I'm sure they would also be a good investment.

Best of luck, and hope you enjoy whatever you end up buying.

Archived