Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Drift alignment for a newt

Apologies if this is in the wrong section!

So... I have my mount on my very homemade peir and would like to drift align as I've been pitting this method off for a while now.

My main concern is the whole reversing the instructions as they all seem to be for anything other than a newt :/ does anyone know of a link/site that has the instructions to drift align a newt rather than saying reverse this and that?

Thanks in advance! :)

Are you trying to use PHD2 or something to drift align?  If not then trial and error will point you at the right bolt to adjust depending on the v produced.  If the wrong bolt is used then the drift will get worse.  If you are using PHD2 or similar then put a notes in the drift tool (or use notepad or something) e.g.north = up.

Cheers

Ross 

If you use an illuminated reticle and line up one axis with celestial north / south by loosening the clutch and slewing by hand, then put a star in the centre when it drifts north or south (ignore east / west) you just need to adjust the horizontal adjuster when aiming south and vertical adjustment when aiming east whichever way brings the star back to the line if you go too far it will start drifting the other way, lots of tiny adjustments in the end to get it close to perfect within the limitations of the mount :)

Dave

I'm not using any software or anything, just doing it by hand.

That's the best way to learn what it is you're actually trying to do, you really need some sort of illuminated crosshair reticle eyepiece 9mm / 12mm, set it up with one axis north south and off you go, no need to worry about which way is up, just adjust whichever direction reverses the drift.

Dave

Archived