Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Two views of the Orionids

Despite the moon's influence I decided to have a visual session last night. I used my Altair Astro 102 refractor and various EPs. However, whilst setting up I caught a very bright Orionid moving sharply from the Orion radiant directly and swiftly along the Eastern horizon towards the North. The trail brightened dramatically into a reddish point source before disappearing. I then settled down for a viewing session using my Baader Hyperion 10mm on T Tauri. I then witnessed a sudden meteor trail in the EP from bottom to top. The trail was quite bright and remained visible in the EP for about 4 seconds as it gradually vapourised from view. Quite an interesting phenomenon I hadn't witnessed before and I guess is less likely by naked eye. This event would have tracked from the Orion radiant towards Taurus.

Archived