First test of XW5: The third planeteer on three planets

This morning I woke up quite early, and spotted Venus, Jupiter and Mars in a very clear sky. Given sunfise wasn't too far off I decided not to get the C8 out (cooling time), but stick with the APM 80mm F/6 triplet, after first looking at the target with various binoculars. I set up the scope on my home-made wooden tripod with mini-giro mount, and inserted the Nagler 22mm T4 to find the planets. I could already spot the phase of venus at 22x in the Nagler, but switching to the XW7 (69x) and then XW5 (96x) the phase was crystal clear. The degree of glare control in these XWs is just stunning. I then switched to Jupiter, and though small, the banding was exquisite and the moon perfect pinpoints. Mars was readily resolved as a tiny red disk, showing no further detail. Back to Jupiter, and I moved the disk from one side of the image to the other. It iis really amazing how constant the image quality remains when you do this. Right close to the field stop the image is still crisp. The XW5 (Porthos) is really an outstanding EP, just like its comrades Athos (XW7) and Aramis (XW10).

Michael,

We must have been performing the same tests at the same time :laugh: I used the 3.5mm XW in the 80mm triplet and Jupiter was simply stunning. These eyepieces are true gems. I got similar results with the 10mm XW in the C6. I don't think I will be changing eyepieces again.

I am not sure if you  have used them on the stars as yet, but the colour separation they deliver betwixt the stars is fantastic :grin:

Cheers guys. The colour on Mars was stunning. Colour neutrality was really great. I also have the XW10, and love that (as well as the XW7) on the C8. I am not sure how much I will use the XW5 on the C8 (my main planetary scope), but for Mars and the moon it should be useful. An XW3.5 would be way over the top. The Delos 8 might be squeezed out a bit, because it is very far from parfocal with the others.

I don't have any Pentaxes ( working my way round them), but I was up at quarter to five - forgot to put clocks back - looking at Jupiter, Venus and Mars. Jupiter looked good, but no details seen on Mars, lots of CA around Venus but nice half-disc. Really enjoyed being up at that time with the peace and quiet.

I used both the 5mm and 7mm XW's to see the Prinz rilles last night, those rilles have an average diameter of just 1.5km and average 158m deep!

I really couldn't see any difference between XW's and Delos on the moon, very happy to have XW back in the line up. :)

I'm glad you like the 5mm XW Michael :smiley:

When I was looking for Sirius B a while back I noticed that the XW 5mm was even better than my Ethos 6mm at controlling the glare from Sirius and allowing the little gleam from "The Pup" to shine though.

It's characteristics are really useful for picking out faint planetary moons from the glare from their host planets as well as examining subtle and fine planetary and lunar detail.

As I've said before, XW's seem like 70 degree orthos with 20mm of eye relief - superb :grin:

I'm glad you like the 5mm XW Michael :smiley:

When I was looking for Sirius B a while back I noticed that the XW 5mm was even better than my Ethos 6mm at controlling the glare from Sirius and allowing the little gleam from "The Pup" to shine though.

It's characteristics are really useful for picking out faint planetary moons from the glare from their host planets as well as examining subtle and fine planetary and lunar detail.

As I've said before, XW's seem like 70 degree orthos with 20mm of eye relief - superb :grin:

Good point about Sirius B. Must try that this winter

Archived