NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Registax question...

GazOC

Hi Guys,

I've got a couple of Saturn Avis to process from the weekend. The planet drifts out of the FOV on several occasions is there anyway a can remove a range of frames from a Avi? At the moment I'm doing it frame by frame (the tick boxes on the left of the screen) , is there a quicker way?

It's a tiresome process isnt it Gaz, you can do it your way and most do but i found a neat little trick is to run your AVI file through a AVI edittor and remove the segments in the Clip which are missing your object then load it up in Registax. This will mean you will after click on the object/planet if it moves out of your alignment box but no biggie.

One feature that would be good in the next Registax is a click n drag option on frames selecting them as i have said is just tiresome esp if you have a 2500 frame file or more.

James

There is supposed to be a click and drag option in Version 3 but I can't get it to work. The help file says that if you drag to select a block or if you do the usual selecting of one frame and then shift and click another to select a block the last frame selection will have a little box around it. Have tried and it does! Apparently you then just have to double click on the boxed last frame to deselect the chosen block of frames. Like I say, I can't get it to work and haven't decided whether I'm being thick or if this is another Registax V3 foible.

Martin

This is attempt number 2 James. They are the same Avi but processed (and I do use the term loosely!!!) differently. I can't make up my mind which one I like, one looks too processed, the other to bland, I've got no eye for this 'art' thing.... :lol:

Satfinsat42.jpg

SatFeb4.jpg

I've got another Avi to do, where I turned the saturation and gain down on the camera to try to stop the rings 'whitening out' like on the pictures above.

Gaz

Glad the advice helped.

The images look great. After seeing Nik at work at AF image processing is more complex than the image taking. The only rule seems too be mess around with the images and see what works.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers James, Caz.

I'm having a hard time getting the bands on the planet (they are there) to come out without the rings looking like they are made of neon!! Any suggestions for camera settings? Seems to me I need less gain/luminosity more gamma??????

Nice half way house James, thanks mate!!

Hi Gaz

You need to be setting your capture such that the target planet is *not* bright on the screen. Almost as if it's *just* there and showing some detail. What most people forget is that you will be stacking these images later and that process will enhance both the brightness and the contrast. Drop the gain and gamma down a little - this will also decrease any camera/ccd noise as well and make the final processed image much crisper.

Arthur

Thanks Arthur/ Damien, I'll give that a go. The same principle as not letting the craters on the Moon saturate right?

Do you think the poor definition (sharpness) is caused by this? I have to admit it puzzled me as I know the focussing was pretty close to spot on.

It's a bit more involved I think. Technically, the Moon is easy compared to the other local stuff. With the Moon, you can afford to be a bit blasé cos it's big, close and coming around every month. Planets need a bit more concentration.

Dunno! I think with planetary shots, seeing has a *much* bigger role to play than most people realise. If you are sure the focus was OK then blame next door's bonfire - or the village football team's spotlights...

Arthur

Archived