NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Go to initial alignment Celestron GPS 11 SCT

I inherited a Celestron SCT 11 GPS Nexstar, having trouble confirming the alignment Stars. A bit overwhelmed by the view and having a hard time definitively confirming which star is which - guide scope may not be aligned correctly - suggestions, reading ?

What i'd do is to make sure you align the finder scope with the main scope first. Do that on a terrestial object as far away as possible (miles if possible) and you'll want to turn tracking off first. If you can only look at something much nearer, align them anyway, but then at night refine that alignment on a very bright star like the one immediately overhead at about 8pm, or the one on its own to the west quite low down and yellow at the same time.

When aligning (either the polar acope or the star alignment) put a low power eye piece in the acope first, like a 25mm eye piece, and centre on the bright star you eventually find, then swap that for a higher Power eye piece like a 10mm, and centre the bright star again; you will probably need to asjust the focus a bit when swapping eye pieces.

Good luck

James

• 2 weeks later...

As above, first align the finder during the day.

I don't have your scope, but if it offers a particular alignment star and you're not sure if it's gone-to it or not:

With tablets with built-in compass and inclinometer, or an iPad, you can use one of the many apps that display a representation of the night sky with name labels for the stars. 

You then "point" the device at where the scope has gone-to and it should help you to determine which star is yours.

Michael

Archived