Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

problem aligning finder scope to my celestron nexstar slt 130

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site and to astronomy. I've always had a fascination with the night sky and recently took this to the next step by purchasing a used celestron nexstar slt130 on eBay. Yeh - I know - I can hear you all  :embarrassed: .  First on my list was to buy a finder scope to replace the dead one....I went for the celestron Starpointer Pro and it seems great. My problem is that having centred the scope on a distant object, I am unable to fix the finder scope as I run out of vertical adjustment. So the finderscope is always shooting higher than the scope.

Any ideas please. As you can tell by the fact that I bought this on ebay, I may not be the smartest so maybe im doing something else stupid!! 

Also, the scope came without a tube end cap. Ive searched on line but cant find a replacement..

Thanks everyone

Hi,

I'm unfamiliar with your scope but had a similar problem on my 6se. All that needed doing was to adjust the seating of the shoe on the scope itself; it all worked fine after that.

Hope you get it sorted, the night sky is fascinating.

You could try sliding a thin shim under its rear but you shouldn't have to, if you take the original one apart what usually happens is a bit of corrosion on the rotating contact that is easily cleaned off, does the switch make a positive click ? just thinking if you get the old one working you could see if it aligns with the scope in which case there must be something wrong with your new one as it should adjust well past up and down.

Dave

HI Del_durham and welcome to SGL, not come across this unit before, but with the large clear view, unobstructed screen, reminds me of the Great Mars finder, which is a great unit, but seems only obtainable in the States, the shortcomings of these units is, they often lack enough height adjustment and as already mentioned a small amount of packing is required to rectify the problem, enjoy your Astronomy the forum :)

Had exactly the same issue with my brand new Celestron 6SE and 9 X 50 Finderscope.

Took the scope apart 2 or 3 times and it made no difference...the findersscope was always pointing too high compared to the 6SE.

Eventually put a few sticky pads on the finderscope body directly under the vertical alignment pin on the circular mount to push it down and now it aligns fairly accurately.

Ivan Flack

Archived