Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Frustrated!!!

oohmygod831

Ive recently moved to South Shields from Chesterfield and i am now not able to view anything from my back yard mainly due to the street light which is directly over it. So tonight with it being a clear night i decided to go hunting for a darkish spot to set up my scope (or even just my binos).

The place i had in mind was a car park near the beach (idea was that there would be no LP over the sea). On the way i saw a couple of policemen so i pulled over and asked them what the area was like and would i get any hassle (teenagers, yobs etc) i was told that the car park i thought of was now closed but i should try some near Marsden Rock as they dont have lighting and would be dark.

Great i thought and went to look for these car parks. Now i may sound naive or just old but i wasnt expecting this. Every car park i found had half a dozen cars parked with steamed up windows. Now wouldnt it look good if i pulled up and got out a telescope and binos, id be in ICU before you could say Haleys Comet. So needless to say i didnt get out of the car and i left the car parks sharpish and returned home rather miffed.

Ive now decided to go to the next meeting of a local astronomy club. My nearest are South Shields Astronomical Society or Sunderland Astronomical Society. Is anyone ere a member of either of these clubs or can tell me a bit about them. Anyway i think the only way i am going to safely get to do any observing is with one of these clubs. Will let you know how i get on.

Lo Simon

I'm a member of the Sunderland group and know exactly what You mean about the car parks along the coast. :angry: We have a few members from that area and a few have said it did seem a bit strange that the car parks were quite busy but none got out of their cars. :shock:

Our group meet at the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust Washington on the second and third Sunday of the month during the season and observe at Derwent reservoir whenever it is clear and the Moon is not present. The next meeting is on the 18th of this month for the Astrophotography competition :hello1:

Hope this is of help but if You need more info just send Me a PM :(

Yeah, having explored the alternatives, I tend to think that "safety in numbers" is the only way. Standing around the countryside is one thing, standing around with a load of GEAR is another? :p I may yet (again) also brave the serried ranks of the exclusively male, middle-aged, slightly nerdy local astronomers [teasing] - All doubtless reminding me FAR to much of myself... :angry: In the interim, I'm still having some fun, with a bit of daytime SOLAR stuff, in our (ahem) "communal garden". And, one day, maybe, a Sunspot? Mind you, the "old dear", from across the way, keeps coming outside and "givin' me evils", so no rest for the (truly) wicked? :mrgreen:

I do empathise with the difficulties (sometimes overcome?) re. this hobby though... :(

Doggin' 'ell, no wonder you were frustrated. Surprised Old Bill sent you that way though.

Erm, where did you say those car parks were again? Just so I can be sure to, you know, avoid them!!?

Cheers

TJ

Archived