Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Assembling EQ5 Deluxe Questions

Hi Folks,

Hope the EQ5 Deluxe members can help me out.

I received my EQ5 and the instructions are naff / useless, I have assembled most of it, but left with:

1:  washer (found in the bottom of the box) I have already installed a washer on the tray assembly where the tray meets the bolt, but dont know where the other should be located.

2: Do you get both mounting plates? I have received one, the short one.

3: how do I attach the mounting plate to the OTA (150pds) there is no screw / bolt in either the OTA or mount packages to do this.

4: The Control knobs (I received Two of them)- How do these fit, I have tried all angles to get them to slide on the brass adjustments things.

5: should there be 3 knobs, I have 3 positions where they could fit, if only I could actually get them on.

Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Tony

Hopefully i can help:

1.  What size is the washer?  inside diameter would be useful. (not much help with that one!!!)

2. I believe you only get the one.  Most scopes come with rings and their own plate (usually referred to as a dovetail plate due to the shape of its cross section).

3.  You should have two tube rings to attach the OTA to the plate - check the packaging as they may be hiding in the polystyrene! -  If not then contact your supplier.

4.  The control knobs slide on to the brass "adjustment things"  - there is a "flat"on the shaft, the knobs slide on to these shafts but you have to align the "flat" in the hole of the knob with the flat on the shaft.  They will be quite a tight fit and need a good firm push to get them on fully.

5.  Only two knobs are needed. The two positions available on one shaft are so that you can place the knob on the most convenient "end".  In some positions of the scope the knobs can foul the mount and need to be "end-swapped" out of the way.

Fantastic, thanks ever so much.

The internal dimension of the washer is 10mm, outer diameter is 20mm.

The rings were attached to the ota, but I cant see where they meet up with the dovetail plate.

I can see there is one tightening bolt attached to one side of the rings.

Hopefully attached pics (apologies for the bad phone quality),

FullSizeRender%20%281%29.jpg?dl=0

IMG_1790.JPG?dl=0

I see your OTA and mount have arrived! Hope you enjoy it as much as i have the past few weeks! great scope and equally great mount. I've got the collimation sorted, it's not actually that hard. Just a wee bit frustrating to begin with having to read lots of guides that say different things.

That black bar thing is the dovetail! that gets placed on the mount, there should also be a locking screw that holds it all in place - sounds like you got it right. The black tightening bolt on one of the rings can be used to e.g. piggy back a DSLR on your scope. The instructions that come with it are totally worthless, I found it much easier to do a google search, find a youtube video, or ask here!

Please correct me if I am wrong, I managed to attach the scope using the black bar spanning the rings, in place of the dovetailed white piece that came with the mount. It does feel secure so will test properly tomorrow :-)

The black bar and the white piece are both dovetail bars but just different profile ones. Skywatcher often supply both but for larger scopes the black one is the one to use.

The spare washer goes between the mount attachment bolt and the bottom of the mount.

I think your other questions have been covered by other posters.

Thanks Chaps,

Indeed my goodies arrived today and I just got it set up in time to view the moon briefly through the supplied 28mm lens, and I must say it was crystal clear :) really pleased.

I have the baader zoom arriving tomorrow with barlow so looking forward to getting out the city lights.

One slightly off topic question: The baader zoom; when buying filters should I purchase the 2" versions?

Many thanks again 

Tony

Archived